Georgetown Ends Fall Season on Sour Note

Men’s Women’s Teams Fall at ITAs

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams competed this past weekend in the ITA Regional Singles and Doubles Championships. The winners of the tournaments, featuring the top college players from the East, advance to the ITA National Indoor Singles and Doubles Championships in February.

The Hoya men had a disappointing showing in their matches played at Princeton.

In the first round of singles competition, freshman Nick Sklavounos fell to Jordan Szekely of Pennsylvania 6-2, 6-2. Senior Justin Berman was also defeated in the first round by Brendan Milone of Brown 6-2, 6-2. In the doubles competition, Berman and Sklavounos teamed up but were unable to beat the Bucknell tandem of T.K. Kelly and Steve Bomberger, losing 8-3.

The women faced similar troubles in their competition held at Pennsylvania.

In singles, junior Sarada Ravindra was soundly defeated by Sherri Puppo of James Madison 6-1, 6-0 in the first round. Likewise, the doubles team of senior Erin Kamemoto and junior Missy Mendes were unable to get a victory, falling 8-2 to Kristin Wasniewski and Rachel Dencker of Delaware.

While the results from the weekend were rather lackluster, the caliber of the Hoyas’ opponents must be remembered. Numerous nationally ranked players took part in the competition. Going into the tournaments, Georgetown knew that it would be nearly impossible to win. Head Coach Rich Bausch said: “It gave us an opportunity to see what the competition in the East is like.”

The ITA Championships mark the end of the fall season for both the men and women. They will resume play in late January.