Georgetown Falls Against Fairfield

The Georgetown football team fell to 3-5 this weekend, losing to Fairfield 38-14 on Saturday.

The Hoyas scored on their first possession of the game, going 70 yards in seven plays, capping the drive in familiar fashion with sophomore quarterback Dave Paulus connecting with senior wide receiver Gharun Hester for a touchdown and 7-0 lead.

The Georgetown lead did not last the quarter however, as the Stags scored on a one-yard touchdown run and succeeded on a two point conversion to go up 8-7. The Stags added a 34-yard field goal to end the second half with an 11-7 lead.

“The first quarter was devastating,” Head Coach Bob Benson said. “We had three opportunities inside their 30-yard line and we never capitalized. That was disturbing. [Our] defense played very well in the first half, but we couldn’t do anything with it.”

Fairfield made sure the Hoyas would have no opportunities in the second half, pouring it on in the third quarter with two more touchdowns, including an 85-yard punt return. The touchdown return was the first in Fairfield football history.

After the return, sophomore Sean Peterson replaced Paulus at quarterback for the Hoyas.

“I thought we needed a change,” Benson said of the substitution. Benson added that the change would most likely not be a permanent one and that Paulus would resume his starting role this Saturday.

With the score 24-7, the Hoyas attempted to claw their way back into the game, scoring on a 16-yard pass from Peterson to freshman wide receiver Luke McArdle to get back within 11 points. Georgetown had the ball at midfield with 8:19 remaining in the fourth quarter, but the Hoyas failed to convert on fourth down. Two plays later, Fairfield tacked on the first of 14 more points to put the contest out of reach.

In an all too familiar occurrence for Georgetown, the Hoyas were plagued by six turnovers, two of them leading to 11 first-half points for the Stags. Those 11 points could have been upped by another touchdown if senior defensive back Mike Turnamian had not intercepted a Fairfield pass deep in Georgetown territory. Georgetown has now turned the ball over 28 times on the season for an average of 3.5 per game. After a successful running game last week against Marist, Georgetown once again could not break the 100-yard barrier, tallying only 84 yards on 31 carries.

“Their defense was good. They put eight men in the box which made it very hard to run the ball,” Benson said.

Sophomore Jamarr Staples led the way with 37 yards on 13 touches.

Georgetown’s passing attack met with only limited success as Paulus and later Peterson threw for only 170 yards on 40 attempts. Especially notable was the containment of Hester, who did not record a reception after the first quarter and had only two in the opening quarter. The Stags often double teamed the Hoyas’ star receiver and combined with gusty wind conditions, that made the deep-passing game a tricky proposition.

Benson felt Fairfield was very prepared for this year’s meeting with Georgetown.

“They were sky-high to play us; it was their homecoming,” Benson said. “We had a chance to take away that spirit and didn’t do it. We let them back into the game and let them control it. I give their coaching staff and team credit. They waited for the Hoyas and they got us.”

Georgetown returns home next weekend to face Iona at 1 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Football Team Page

Football Schedule

Football Roster