Georgetown Gets Second Big East Win

This past weekend was a much-needed reprieve for Georgetown’s women’s volleyball team. The Hoyas won both their matches against St. John’s and St. Peter’s and snapped a four-match losing streak.

Saturday’s match against the Red Storm of St. John’s went to a nerve-wracking fifth game which the Hoyas managed to pull off. It was surprising that the match even reached that point, considering that St. John’s jumped out to a 2-1 lead after the first three games. Georgetown managed to force a fifth game after defeating St. John’s 30-25 in the fourth game and won that deciding contest 15-8.

“We played up and down a little bit, but we pulled out a win,” Head Coach Li Liu said.

Some of her team’s struggles were due to injuries.

Junior outside hitter Ashley Lancaster suffered a sprained ankle during practice, which kept her sidelined this weekend. Lancaster has been a key contributor for Georgetown this season, and the Hoyas felt her absence.

Junior outside hitter Rachel Nelson did her best to step up, but she has been battling a foot injury all season, which has limited her playing time. Liu realizes that Nelson is not 100 percent but is trying her best to play, as is the rest of the team.

“Their bodies are falling apart, but they’re still pushing,” Liu said of her players.

On Saturday, freshman outside hitter Patty Carroll gave her team a huge boost with 17 kills, as well as 11 digs. Junior opposite side hitter Jenny Weed had 13 kills and six blocks.

Senior middle blocker Sara Albert and sophomore middle blocker Annie Connor had 10 kills apiece. Both players also had five blocks.

Freshman setter Kate Fisher took on setting duties for the whole match instead of splitting time with senior Margaret Vernon. Fisher finished with a career-high 57 assists and 15 digs.

The win against St. John’s was only the second Big East victory for the Hoyas this season, although Liu said it feels like they’ve been a little shortchanged this year.

“We lost to a lot of teams when we should have won,” Liu said. “Even though we haven’t done as well in the Big East, our spirit is good.”

On Sunday, Georgetown took a break from its conference schedule to take on St. Peter’s. The Hoyas won the match in four games (32-30, 26-30, 30-20, 30-26) to improve their overall record to 15-12, including 2-6 in the Big East.

Albert had a big day as she recorded 12 kills and 11 blocks. Georgetown had 17 team blocks while St. Peter’s finished with only 10. Carroll also continued to mow her way through the competition as she had yet another double-double with 15 kills and 10 digs.

This weekend the Hoyas will play their last two matches of the season.

Liu said she is hoping to see some of the consistency that has been so elusive for the Hoyas this season.

“I say that game time is shine time, but we’re not all playing together at the same time,” Liu said.

Georgetown’s final two matches are against New Jersey conference opponents. Rutgers will take on the Hoyas Friday at 8 p.m. in McDonough Arena.

Georgetown’s last game of 2004, which is also Senior Night, will be Sunday at 5 p.m. against Seton Hall, also in cDonough.