Georgetown Qualifies For Nationals Again

SAILING Georgetown Qualifies For Nationals Again By Christine Bell Hoya Staff Writer

For a second consecutive year the Georgetown Sailing team has qualified for the ICSA Team Race National Championships, the pinnacle of U.S. collegiate sailing competitions. Facing fierce rivals such as Old Dominion, St. May’s College, Navy, Hobart and host school Merchant Marine Academy, the Georgetown Sailing team placed first in the team race competition at the National Qualifiers this past weekend.

Led by Head Coach Mike Callahan, a member of Sailing World’s coaches panel, the Hoyas entered this weekend’s races as the slight underdog, having recently lost to Old Dominion, Navy and St. Mary’s. Nevertheless, Georgetown went undefeated throughout the race until the final round robin of the team race championship, losing only to Old Dominion.

The squad of senior skippers Brian Bissel, Ken Ward and Curtis Flood and sophomore Tyler Haskell combined with senior crews elanie Wood, Katherine Penberthy, Leah Williams, Jeff Chang and Alex Holtan and sophomore Eliza Ryan to earn their victory in the AISA team championship and second place overall finish in the aryland Spring Invitational.

Until the National Championship in Hawaii from June 2 – 4, the Hoyas will focus their concentration on qualifying in women’s and fleet racing, which the Hoyas feel is well within their grasp. This weekend the Hoyas are back in action competing in four regattas: Arrigan Regatta at Georgetown, Admiral’s Cup at Kings Point, Moody Trophy at U. of Rhode Island, and the New York Maritime Dingy Open.