Georgetown Ranked 23rd By U.S. News

University Downplays Report’s Importance

By Tim Sullivan Hoya Staff Writer

U.S. News and World Report today ranked Georgetown University 23rd in its latest survey of the nation’s top national universities. The ranking places it in a tie with Carnegie-Mellon University of Pittsburgh. Georgetown was also ranked 23rd last year.

Leading the rankings this year is Princeton University, followed by a second place tie between Harvard University and Yale University. California Institute of Technology and Massachusetts Institute of Technology rounded out the top-five universities this year.

“Given the quality of Georgetown’s faculty and students, we believe we should be ranked higher,” University Spokesperson Gloria . Lacap said. She added that the university is pleased to be ranked in the top 25, but cautioned that, “it is important not to place too much emphasis on these rankings, as they are only one of many measures of a college or university’s success.”

At No. 23, Georgetown falls between Vanderbilt University and three schools which tied for 25th: UCLA, Michigan-Ann Arbor and North Carolina-Chapel Hill.

This year marks the 14th consecutive year in which Georgetown has been ranked among the top-25 national universities.

Beginning with last year’s rankings, U.S. News changed its formula for ranking schools to include the amount of money spent per student, an area in which Georgetown has traditionally trailed its peer institutions. Last year’s No. 1 school, California Institute of Technology, spent $192,000 per student while Georgetown spent $46,500.

In recent years, Georgetown has undertaken several initiatives to improve its financial standing. In July, the university finalized an agreement to share the administration of the Georgetown University Medical Center with MedStar Health Systems in an effort to alleviate the hospital’s financial woes. Over the last three years, the Med Center had operating losses of more than $200 million.

The $750 million Third Century Campaign, a fund-raising drive with a goal of augmenting the university’s endowment and improving the campus, has raised more than $500 million to date. More than $200 million of that total is earmarked for the endowment. Last year, Georgetown had an operating endowment of $719 million, while Harvard had an operating endowment of $13 billion, and Princeton’s was more than $4 billion.