Georgetown Second at Penn State

Georgetown Second at Penn State

By Mike Hume Special to The Hoya

Georgetown’s cross country team bested 20 of 21 teams en route to its second-place finish in last weekend’s meet at Penn State University.

No. 10 James Madison placed first overall with 46 points. No. 14 Georgetown finished a close second with 50. No. 11 Michigan’s 62 points placed them third overall, ahead of Bucknell (126) and alone (132). Host Penn State finished sixth with 151 points.

The Hoyas were lead by several strong performers, including junior David Rodriguez, who placed second overall. Rodriguez was also the first collegiate runner to finish the course. Junior Corey Smith, who led for most of the race, finished in seventh place overall while junior Kyle Smits finished 13th.

Head Coach Ron Helmer also cited the performance of freshman Kalpanatit Broderick. Broderick, the fourth-ranked runner on the Georgetown squad, placed 18th overall and was the first freshman finisher.

“I was pleased to see some of our younger runners do so well,” Helmer said. “We did very well for ourselves. We have great potential. I feel this could definitely be one of the best teams in the history of the school.”