Georgetown Snaps Seven-Game Slide

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team has started to find its stride, picking up two wins in the Black and Gold Challenge at Wake Forest last week to end a seven-game losing streak.

The Hoyas (4-8) dropped their first match to the hosting Demon Deacons (7-2) on Friday, Sept. 16, losing 30-28, 28-30, 30-28, 30-23 in four games, but Georgetown managed to put together a good performance nonetheless.

Leading the Georgetown charge was senior opposite side hitter Jenny Weed, who had a match-leading 21 kills along with eight digs and four blocks. Those 21 kills were good for a .375 hitting percentage.

Senior outside hitter Rachel Nelson continued to be the most consistent part of the Hoya offense as she put up her sixth double-double in Georgetown’s ninth match of the season. She accomplished the feat with 15 kills and 12 digs.

Although Georgetown got outstanding individual performances, the team statistics were tilted in Wake Forest’s favor. The Deacons outhit the Hoyas .274 to .185 and had 15 team blocks compared to only five from the Hoyas.

The match was characterized by pivotal runs from both teams, but in the end Wake Forest came up with the timely hitting it needed to emerge victorious.

Saturday saw Georgetown against Morehead State (4-11) in the first match of the day. The Hoyas ended what had become a dismal seven-game skid with a 3-0 victory over the Eagles (30-22, 32-30, 30-27).

Junior middle blocker Annie Connor paced the Hoyas with 15 kills and an outstanding .522 hitting percentage. Nelson put up yet another double-double with 11 kills and 10 digs.

This match was not necessarily the best Georgetown performance of the year, but the team was able to come away with the victory by securing points in key situations.

The Hoyas added another win later that afternoon as they defeated the Jackrabbits of South Dakota State (6-8) in four games (30-28, 30-26, 25-30, 30-25).

Weed again led the Hoyas with 19 kills and 16 digs while Nelson put up another double-double with 12 kills and 12 digs. That performance helped Nelson earn a place on the all-tournament team.

Connor was also honored with a spot on the all-tournament team after posting 10 kills and four blocks in her final match of the weekend.

The freshmen also helped propel the Hoyas to victory. Middle blocker Katherine Niesen had 11 kills and three blocks. Outside hitter Jessica Buffum contributed eight kills and 11 digs to Georgetown’s winning effort.

Georgetown’s two tournament victories were enough to give them second place in the Black and Gold Invitational.

The women returned home on Tuesday night looking to continue the new winning streak, but that hope was dashed by the American Eagles. Georgetown lost a heartbreaker in five games (27-30, 30-28, 28-30, 30-25, 15-13) and fell to 4-8. The Eagles, meanwhile, climbed to 6-7.

The first game of the match indicated that the contest was going to be hard-fought. The two teams traded points, neither able to hold on to the serve. American then went on a 7-1 run, only to be answered by a 6-1 run from Georgetown.

The turning point came on a nice tip by Connor which gave the Hoyas a 16-15 lead that they would not relinquish.

In the second game the Georgetown players took to the court looking more confident than they had in a long time. Connor seemed to have fully recovered from her injury, rising to impressive heights to nail her kills.

But things started to come apart for the Hoyas on the second rotation as they failed to score a point. That was all the encouragement the Eagles needed, and they came away with the victory to even the match.

Connor came up with another big hit in the third game. Georgetown was watching its lead slip away as American went on a successful serving run, but Connor put a stop to the suspense with a big kill to give the Hoyas the 30-28 win.

Connor’s dominance was evident in her 20 kills on the evening, a total that led both teams. She also had six blocks.

In the fourth game Georgetown looked sluggish and showed some of the disorganization that has plagued the team this season. American took that game to force a fifth.

The deciding game went at a frenzied pace, but the Hoyas lost the final point on a net violation, an outcome which has characterized the 2005 season for Georgetown. It has been a year of little mistakes proving to be very significant and, at times, the Hoyas’ relative inexperience shows.

The night did include another superb performance from Nelson, who tallied her ninth double-double of the season with 14 kills and 15 digs. Weed also had a double-double with 13 kills and 11 digs.

The match was the last opportunity for the Hoyas to work out their kinks before conference play begins. Georgetown will enter the Big East portion of its season with a weekend on the road, starting today against Syracuse and continuing Sunday against arquette, a recent league addition.