Georgetown Wins Capital Cup

Georgetown Wins Capital Cup

Hoyas Take Crown For Second Straight Year

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown club rugby team dominated all other competition and outscored its opponents 79-0 to take home the title for the second year in a row in the Capital Cup Tournament last weekend. The ninth-annual competition featured four teams from the District, including George Washington, Catholic and American.

Freshman Greg Bassi was named the tournament’s most valuable player for his aggressive running and offensive skills.

The tournament opened with a face-off between Catholic and American, where the Cardinals downed the Eagles 35-7. Georgetown began play later that afternoon with an easy 45-0 romp of George Washington. The game featured strong offensive play and almost no errors from the Hoyas.

Junior fullback Jim Goodfellow began Georgetown’s offensive domination when he scored a try down the right sideline off a wayward Colonial pass. Senior wing Phil Strunk then scored the Hoyas’ second try, this time off a pass from Goodfellow. Strunk soon grabbed a loose ball to score again for Georgetown.

Georgetown closed the half out on a positive note when they forced George Washington’s scrum into their own try zone and scored the first of the tournament’s two pack-tries for the Hoyas.

Strong play from the Hoya forwards in the second half of the game solidified Georgetown’s win, with senior flanker Doug eisel posting two tries. Goodfellow scored again, this time off an assist from junior flyhalf Chris Bletsch. Goodfellow completed five of the Hoyas’ seven conversions.

The Hoya-Colonial match was followed up by a game between the B squads from each school. Freshmen flanker Pat Croke and lock Matt Roesch each scored a try, and sophomore flyhalf Hap Proesel converted to give Georgetown the win 12-5.

Though the championship game between Georgetown and Catholic began with sloppy play on behalf of both teams, the Hoyas rebounded to defeat the Cardinals 34-0.

Junior hooker Dan Oldroyd scored a try for the Hoyas in the opening minutes of the game, but the officials called it back as incomplete.

Leading scorer Goodfellow left the game due to an ankle injury early in the first half, but was replaced by Proesel.

Proesel then assisted Strunk on the Hoyas’ first try of the game, which was then converted by senior outside center Rob Wrona. Georgetown kept its 7-0 lead going into the second half.

The second half belonged entirely to the Hoyas, with stifling defense and a dynamic offense. The Hoyas’ defense kept the Cardinals from even reaching the gain line.

Freshman wing Justin Gaugins scored the first try of his Georgetown career off an assist from Wrona and freshman inside center Ryan Burke.

Tournament MVP Bassi then stepped up for the Hoyas, scoring three tries before the Hoyas scored another pack try when Meisel and senior captain J.B. Seilliere touched the ball down to tie up the win.

American defeated George Washington 35-7 in the tournament’s third-place match.

The tournament marks the end of the club rugby team’s spring season.