Gingrich and Others to Speak at GU

By Nick Ennis Hoya Staff Writer

A number of interesting and esteemed speakers will be coming to the Hilltop this week, among them a retired general, a foreign minister and the CEO of a national Catholic charity. Later in the month, four prominent national politicians will participate in a foreign policy debate at Georgetown.

The first speaker, retired U.S. General Wesley K. Clark, the NATO and Supreme Allied Commander during the Kosovo campaign last year, will be speaking Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. in the ICC Auditorium in a speech entitled “Kosovo, 1999: What Was Accomplished? How? Why?”

Clark has history at Georgetown. In 1965, while at the United States Military Academy at West Point, he and another cadet were delegates to the first of the university’s student-run “Conferences on the Atlantic Community.” It was then that Clark met then sophomore class president and future boss Bill Clinton (SFS ’68) at GU. Clark’s son also graduated from the School of Foreign Service in 1992.

The next distinguished speaker on the list is Joschka Fisher, vice chancellor and foreign minister of the Republic of Germany. He will deliver the third Quandt Distinguished Lecture, entitled “Toward a Transatlantic Partnership in an Era of Global: The United States, Europe, and Germany in an Era of Global Challenges.” The Quandt lecture series’ past speakers have included former German President Roman Herzog and Clinton. The lecture will take place at Gaston Hall on Friday at 6 p.m.

The last speaker in the upcoming lineup is Sister Mary Rose cGeady. Sister McGeady is president and CEO of Covenant House and will speak on “Faith in Action: Covenant House and Life on the Streets.” Covenant House is the largest privately funded childcare agency in the United States, providing shelter and service to homeless and runaway youth. The speech will be sponsored by the Office of Campus Ministry and will focus on McGeady’s decade-long experience at Covenant House. She will touch on such topics as the connection between her faith, life and work, why she chose to begin working at Covenant House and the inspiration for her continued ministry there. The lecture will occur Monday Sept. 18, at 5:15 p.m. in ICC 107.

Less immediately, there will be a little more politics in the air than usual on Sept. 25. Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.), Joseph R. Biden Jr.(D-Del.), former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich of Georgia and former Senator Warren Rudman of New Hampshire will debate the future of foreign policy based on the upcoming presidential election. The debate, scheduled by the Council on Foreign Relations, will revolve around foreign policy issues, with Levin and Biden arguing for the Democratic side and Gingrich and Rudman presenting the Republican case.