Groups Prep for Va. Election Showdown

After weeks of campaigning, members of the Georgetown College Republicans and College Democrats are anxiously waiting to see whether their efforts will pay off in the results of today’s hotly-contested gubernatorial elections in New Jersey and Virginia.

About 70 Georgetown students from both political parties were involved in campaign efforts for their respective candidates, participating in several phone banks and even conducting door-to-door visits in northern Virginia. The College Democrats are doing one last round of neighborhood canvassing today in Virginia to encourage people to vote.

Republican Doug Forrester and U.S. Senator Jon Corzine (D-N.J.) are the candidates in the New Jersey gubernatorial race. A Quinnipiac University poll released yesterday put Corzine ahead of Forrester, 53 percent to 45 percent. In the Virginia gubernatorial race, recent polls show Democratic Lieutenant Governor Tim Kaine with a statistically insignificant lead over Republican former Attorney General Jerry Kilgore.

Virginia and New Jersey are the only two states holding gubernatorial elections this year.

“This election really gives students the opportunity, especially the freshmen, to get involved in the political process at a grassroots level,” College Republicans Chair Jay Ennis (SFS ’07) said. “The Virginia and New Jersey elections are important in part because they’ll really set the tone for the 2006 midterm elections.”

Ennis added that the election campaigning also gives upperclassmen the opportunity to “relive the excitement of last year” during the 2004 presidential campaign.

“Every vote absolutely counts,” College Democrats President Peter Solecki (COL ’07) said. “We’re fortunate to have the time and energy to go out and make a difference in this kind of election.”

Both political groups on campus are encouraging high voter turnout.

Ennis said that Georgetown College Republicans joined their counterparts from George Washington and Catholic universities Saturday for a massive canvassing campaign in which students knocked on over 4,000 doors in northern Virginia. Approximately 30 Georgetown College Republicans have participated in canvassing, he added.

Ennis said that although the Virginia race is “definitely a toss-up, we’re hoping the help we provided this Saturday will make a difference.”

Lauryn Bruck (SFS ’08), gubernatorial campaign coordinator for the College Democrats, said that over 40 students have helped with phone banks and canvassing efforts that over the past three weeks have reached over 1,000 voters.

“It’s given people a lot of experience,” she said. “We’ve been working really hard.”

The College Democrats organized a final phone banking effort last night.

“It’s really important to keep up the Democratic spirit and keep people involved,” Bruck added. “A lot of times, people will be really involved in a presidential election, then drop off.”

She said that the College Democrats have focused their physical door-to-door campaigning on Virginia instead of New Jersey, “because [New Jersey] is far away . and because of the lead Corzine has had.”

J. D. Allman (COL ’09), a member of the College Republicans who participated in the canvassing effort last Saturday, described the day as a “good learning experience.”

“It was just knocking on people’s doors and giving out literature, but there was a sense of camaraderie among the people involved,” he said.

Ennis said that although Forrester lags in the polls in the New Jersey race, he is confident that the Republican candidate still stands a significant chance in the election.

“I think the race has actually been tightening . Forrester is definitely building momentum,” he said.

He added that Georgetown students should be involved in political events like gubernatorial races, no matter what their political affiliation.

“As Georgetown students we’re lucky enough to take part in the political process in D.C. . I support every Georgetown student that’s getting involved.”