GU Claims Victory in Comeback

It was deja vu for Georgetown.

Down 7-0, approaching the fourth quarter with seven punts, 152 total yards and 11 straight quarters without a touchdown, the Hoyas appeared destined for their third straight loss.

Yet the offense awoke from its slumber. Ten points and 16 minutes later, Georgetown had earned a 10-7 victory over Stony Brook.

The comeback drew comparisons to the Hoyas’ season-opening win at Bucknell, when the Hoyas roared back from a game of offensive silence with 16 unanswered points.

“Our kids showed lots of heart,” said Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson. “We persevered and made it happen in the fourth quarter.”

It was a breakout game for the entire Georgetown roster. The defense, which allowed 82 points in the last two games, held the Seawolves to 228 yards and only seven points. The special teams, seeking redemption for two games’ worth of missed field goals and fumbled kicks, performed flawlessly, converting a field goal attempt and holding Stony Brook to negative-3.2 yards per punt return.

Finally, on Saturday it was the offense that erased the memory of two games in which the Hoyas scored a total of 10 points.

The first half was indicative of how the rest of the game would be played. The teams mustered only 219 yards, punting nine times during the scoreless opening two periods. While Georgetown’s offense limped through the first half, the veteran defense showcased its potential. Holding the Seawolves to six first downs and only two third-down conversions, the door was open all half for junior quarterback Nick Cangelosi and the struggling offense.

“Three of our first four drives, we started back on our own 10-yard line,” Benson said. “It seemed like all half, we were stuck with a 90-yard field.”

Stony Brook came out firing on all cylinders in the second half. After senior punter Brad Scoffern’s punt pinned the Seawolves on their own 10 yard-line, junior quarterback Josh Dudash devised the game’s first sustained drive. Converting a vital 3rd-and-13, Dudash linked up on four straight passes and finished the job on a run from one-yard out to cap the touchdown drive. The 90-yard drive, coming with 9:21 left in the third quarter, was the longest of the day.

After the score, the tide turned. During the final 24 minutes, the Hoyas gave up a mere 47 yards and their field position finally broke the back of the Seawolves’ defense.

In the beginning of the fourth quarter Georgetown started a drive at Stony Brook’s 49-yard line. Cangelosi kick-started the comeback by leading an eight-play, 47-yard drive to the two-yard line. Rather than going for the tie on a day on which two yards looked like a mile, Georgetown took the three points. Scoffern’s 19-yard chip shot reduced the deficit to four points.

After battles for field position, the Hoyas forced a three-and-out, giving the offense the ball at the Stony Brook 39-yard line with 5:35 left in the fourth quarter. Cangelosi tucked the first-down play for eight yards. Senior running back Marcus Slayton pounded for runs of eight and three yards to set Georgetown up on the 25-yard line with 2nd-and-7. Cangelosi then threw a dart to junior wide receiver Harrison Beacher, who streaked down the center of the field into the end zone. With 5:05 remaining, Georgetown took a 10-7 lead.

Clinging to the Hoyas’ tenuous advantage, the defense shut the door on a Seawolf response. Stony Brook’s next drive went three-and-out. After the offense all but ran out the final four minutes, Slayton capped a dominant afternoon with a 19-yard third down conversion.

For the Hoyas, the defense lived up to its billing, allowing only 72 rushing yards and 13 first downs. During the final 24 minutes, the defense completely shut down the Stony Brook attack, allowing a microscopic 47 yards and two first downs. Senior linebacker Mehdi Hassan again stifled the opposing offense, piling up 11 tackles and a sack. Fellow senior linebacker Jason Carter helped stop the run with five solo tackles.

“We gave up one drive the whole game,” Benson said. “Other than that, our defense won us the field-position battles in the fourth quarter. That won us the game.”

Georgetown’s offense, despite three quarters of misfires, answered the call in the clutch. Cangelosi finished with 14 passing attempts for 118 yards and 17 attempts on the ground for 53. Sidney Baker, the pride of a strong class of freshman receivers, hauled in a team-high four catches for 40 yards.

The Hoyas will return to campus to kick off a tough homestand, as they face off against defending Patriot League champion Lafayette Saturday at 2 p.m.

“We are really looking forward to [Lafayette],” Benson said. “They are the defending champs, and we are very excited for the student turnout.”