GU Crew Races Past GWU

Two crews took to the water this last week, with the women finishing behind Ivy League competition at the Eastern Sprints Championships in Camden, N.J., while the heavyweight men swept George Washington on the Potomac. On May 14, the women’s team entered four boats at the Eastern Sprints in a field crowded with high-powered crews from Princeton, Dartmouth, Brown and Rutgers, all vying for supremacy among eastern schools. Brown University won the regatta with 60 points; Princeton (54), Yale (51), Radcliffe (49) and Boston University (43) rounded out the top-five. Georgetown finished 16th out of the 17 schools, tallying nine points in its finishes in the lightweight varsity-eight and novice varsity-four. The Hoyas had their best run in the lightweight varsity-eight where they competed in the grand final and placed third, behind Wisconsin and Radcliffe. Their time of 7:23.4 was only nine seconds slower than Wisconsin’s winning time of 7:14.0. The Georgetown B boat finished last in the petite final with a time of 8:17.0. In the varsity novice-four, Georgetown finished third out of six boats. Their time of 8:41.5 was only 10 seconds off the winning mark of 8:31.2 posted by Northeastern University, The Hoyas bested their nearest competition, assachusetts Institute of Technology, by 24 seconds. Georgetown finished last in the varsity-eight race. The Hoyas crossed the finish line in 7:45.5, nearly a minute behind first-place Princeton. Georgetown’s varsity lightweight-four finished in 8:53.5, last in its race. The heavyweight men fared better as they faced GWU on May 7. The regatta marked the second time in the last month that the two schools had raced each other continuing their dominance over the Colonials – Georgetown lost to Navy but finished ahead of GWU at the George Washing Invitational on April 10 – the Hoyas swept all five races, though not without a bit of drama. In the varsity-eight race, with the Hoyas leading by less than half a shell, GW committed a fatal error. A rower lost control of his oar, tacking on precious seconds to the boat’s race time. As the oar became entrenched in the water and the Colonial rower’s arms extended over his head, unable to row, the Hoyas continued unfazed en route to a six-second win. Georgetown finished in 5:58.6. The race set the tone for the day: despite GW’s best efforts, the Hoyas finished with comfortable margins of victory in each race. Georgetown had their biggest margin of victory in the second varsity-eight, where they finished 15 seconds ahead of the GW shell in a time of 6:17.7. The Georgetown novice-eight boat closed the day for the Blue and Gray with a solid 6:13.1 to 6:25.7 victory. The men next race in the EARC Sprints in Worcester, Mass. The lightweight women close their season on June 3 in Camden, N.J. at the IRA Championships. The heavyweight women are finished for the year.