GU Drops Big East Matchups

Despite high hopes going into the weekend’s Big East conference matches, the Georgetown tennis teams came home with only one win.

The men’s squad (10-7, 2-1 Big East), which was looking for a pair of wins to position itself for a four seed in the Big East tournament two weeks from now, split its weekend road matches with a 6-1 win against Connecticut (2-10, 0-2) and a 6-1 loss to St. John’s.

Against the Huskies, Georgetown won the doubles point, taking the No. 2 and 3 matches, but dropping the No. 1 match. The Hoyas have lost at first-flight doubles in six of their last seven matches, but picked up the slack in the other two flights, winning the doubles point in five of those seven matches.

Georgetown Head Coach Gordie Ernst was forced to split up No. 1 doubles pair junior Jeff Schnell and sophomore Kevin Walsh so that Schnell could play for at No. 3 doubles for freshman David Tillem, who broke his wrist. Ernst said the move hurt the No. 1 team.

The Hoyas took control of the dual match in the singles, as freshman Anthony Tan won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2 singles, while junior Ted Tywang blanked Husky sophomore Jeff Klar at No. 6 singles.

Along with Tywang and Schnell, freshman Will Lowell and sophomore Adam Gross all pulled double duty, winning both their doubles and singles matches on the day.

But Georgetown’s fortune took a turn for the worse the following day when the team traveled to New York to take on a red-hot Red Storm (8-6, 3-1). St. John’s came into the match riding the coattails of a three-match winning streak and proved to be too much for the Hoyas, winning its fourth dual match of the weekend.

“We didn’t play our best tennis throughout the lineup, and you have to do that to beat a good team,” Ernst said.

Georgetown lost the doubles point, and things didn’t get any easier in the singles matches, as the Hoyas lost four in straight sets. Gross fell in three sets, 6-2, 7-6, 10-6, while Lowell recorded the team’s only point on the day with a 6-4, 6-4 win at third-flight singles.

On the women’s side, Georgetown’s Big East woes continued.

The squad (3-13, 0-5), seeking their first Big East win of the season, lost to both Connecticut and St. John’s, by scores of 5-2 and 4-0. The five-game conference skid puts the women in a tough position to reach their season goal of making the Big East tournament for the first time since 2000.

Against the Huskies (7-7, 2-1), the Hoyas were unable to solve their problems at the bottom of the lineup and only managed to win at No. 1 and 3 singles. Juniors Steph Cohen and Liz Winokur continued their winning ways despite the team’s struggles.

Cohen, who won 7-5, 6-2 at No. 1, and Winokur, who won 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3, account for more than half of Georgetown’s singles wins on the year. The bottom three singles flights, however, are 4-26 on the season.

“Steph Cohen had a nice win at UConn, she beat a good player . Steph’s playing the best tennis I’ve seen her play,” Ernst said.

The match against St. John’s (5-7, 3-3) was called due to inclement weather after the Red Storm had clinched the contest with a 4-0 lead. Only the top four singles had been completed, in which St. John’s swept Georgetown. Cohen was the lone bright spot as the only player not to be swept in straight sets. She lost at No. 1 singles 6-7, 6-1, 6-2.

The Hoyas still have a shot to make the 12-team field in the Big East tournament, but will likely need to win the remaining two conference matches on their schedule: two road dates against Villanova and West Virginia.

Georgetown’s women will be back in action today, as they travel to College Park, Md., to take on Maryland at 2 p.m. Although they opened their season with six straight wins, the Terrapins have lost nine in a row to tough ACC competition and head into the match against the Hoyas with a 7-10 mark.

On the men’s side, Georgetown will play its final conference match of the year at Villanova on Thursday. The Wildcats stand at 3-6 on the year and 2-1 in the Big East, but the Hoyas have fared better against common opponents.