GU Ends Homestand With ‘W’

Eden Ghidei/The Hoya Freshman midfielder Alex Kern squeezes a pass between two Rider defenders. After suffering defeat at the hands of Bucknell Saturday, Georgetown stormed back to overpower the Broncos on Sunday, 4-2.

Coming off its third win in the last four games to wrap up a seven-game homestand, Georgetown field hockey entered the weekend with high hopes of continuing to turn its season around and perhaps even moving toward a fourth consecutive winning season.

However, after splitting their games by losing 4-2 at Bucknell and winning by the same score at home against Rider, the Hoyas are currently 5-9, and will need to sweep their remaining four matches to finish at .500.

Saturday afternoon, Georgetown traveled to Lewisburg, Pa. to take on the Bison in a match of two teams that have struggled at times throughout the season: Georgetown spent most of September mired in a seven-game losing streak, while Bucknell snapped a series of three consecutive losses with the victory that improved the hosts’ record to 8-4.

Earlier this season, the Hoyas often dominated in the first half, though their second-period struggles often proved to be their downfall. Against Bucknell, however, Georgetown found itself facing a deficit just under 16 minutes into the opening half, when senior defender Kate Ruda tallied her team-leading eighth goal in 2003.

With 6:42 left in the half, senior co-captain and midfielder Leeanne Rizzo responded for Georgetown, scoring her first of two goals in the game off an assist from fellow senior midfielder Beth Gagnon. But the Bison bounced back with just under a minute on the clock, and took the lead on a penalty corner from freshman Callista Costopoulos, the first goal of her college career.

In the second half, Bucknell sophomore forward Kelly O’Brien converted a penalty shot for her eighth goal and boosted her team’s lead to two before Rizzo scored again five minutes later on an unassisted goal. Costopoulos closed out the scoring at 4:30, when she buried another penalty corner. For the game, the Bison posted 18 shots to the Hoyas’ 15, though freshman Abby Winer did make eight saves for Georgetown.

Returning to campus for a home match with Rider on Sunday, the Hoyas once again found themselves in a hole at the outset, allowing the Broncos to score twice within the first three minutes.

Freshman forward Ashley Boulden started off with an unassisted score just 0:55 after the opening whistle, and then added an assist – along with junior Maddy Boulden – on junior Katie Conlon’s goal a minute and a half later.

Georgetown came back to within 2-1 when sophomore forward Jessica Quinn scored her 11th goal of the year just under five and a half minutes in, matching her team-leading total from last season. The half ended with no further scoring, so the Hoyas would need to dig deep and continue in the second half to match Rider’s early momentum.

And they did just that. Rizzo tied the game 2-2 off assists from two defenders, senior co-captain Lauren Galbally and junior Caroline Cole; Gagnon then put her team ahead for good with contributions once again from Galbally and Cole. Senior forward Dionna Jordan added an insurance goal with five minutes remaining to push the final score to 4-2.

Though the Hoyas were behind in corners, 9-5, and Winer had to make nine saves to Rider freshman goalie Krysta Bearish’s five, the two teams were evenly matched at shots, with six in the first and 10 in the second half. The win was Georgetown’s second successful comeback of the year, and with the upset Rider now stands at 12-4.

On Wednesday, the Hoyas will travel to Philadelphia to battle the 8-4 University of Pennsylvania Quakers, before returning to Washington, D.C., to close out the season with three home games. Game time Wednesday evening is at 7:30 p.m.