GU Prepares To Pummel St. Peter’s

As Saturday draws near, the Georgetown football team prepares for its home finale against the St. Peter’s Peacocks.

This year’s game takes on added significance with the Hoyas placing strong emphasis on a winning season.

“Winning is the key,” Head Coach Bob Benson said after last Saturday’s 43-14 win against Iona. “I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to win.”

With Georgetown’s record at 4-5, it will take wins against both St. Peter’s and an undefeated Davidson squad to accomplish the goal of a winning season. Last year, the Peacocks gave the Hoyas a tight game, which the Hoyas won 14-3. This year, however, St. Peter’s (2-6) finds itself at the bottom of the etro Atlantic Athletic Conference, just behind Iona, which soundly defeated St. Peter’s earlier this year, 39-7.

The Peacocks’ offense has been stagnant this year, scoring more than 13 points in a game only once. St. Peter’s scored 23 in their win over Siena, the second-to-last team in the MAAC. The Hoyas should find little difficulty controlling the Peacocks passing game. St. Peter’s has only totaled 718 yards passing this season – Georgetown senior wide receiver Gharun Hester alone has more than that.

After finding little success in their passing game, the Peacocks, who average only six receptions per game, have relied on their rushing. There too, they’ve had limited success, averaging 131.6 yards a game on an average of 43.2 carries.

Such a one-sided offensive attack by St. Peter’s should allow Georgetown to stack the defensive line in order to clog the rushing holes, making it all the more difficult for the Peacocks to generate offense.

Offensively, Georgetown will look to maintain the rushing success it had last week against Iona. The Hoyas blitzed the Gaels for 353 yards on the ground, a season high for the Hoyas.

“It’s about confidence,” Benson said after last week’s rushing explosion. “That’s what we need. We like it. We like what we’re doing here.”

Saturday’s game is also Senior Day, the final home game in the careers of Hoya seniors. This year’s team features 21 seniors.

Kickoff is at 1 p.m. at Kehoe Field.

Related Links

Football Team Page

Football Schedule

Football Roster