GU Rallies for Late Victory

It was almost over before it began.

The ninth-ranked University of Maryland women’s lacrosse team jumped to a quick two-goal lead, but it could not fight a second-half momentum swing from Georgetown. The No. 4 Hoyas climbed back into the game, eventually taking an 8-6 win Wednesday – only their third victory over the Terrapins in a series dating back to 1977.

The first half was controlled by Maryland as it scored on two quick cuts up the middle in the first six minutes. Sophomore midfielder Katie Doolittle put the Terps on the board just three minutes into the game, and senior attack Jessica Dorney followed with her first of two on the afternoon.

“Early, we knew they were going to go goal-hard. It’s Maryland’s M.O. They’re going to get the ball, they’re going to push the ball, and they did exactly that,” Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “They were effective pushing the ball. They used their speed very well. That put us at a disadvantage. We were on our heels early, and that’s a credit to them.”

The Hoyas took a timeout after Dorney’s goal left them trailing by two, then came out and won the draw control. Though unable to score on the ensuing possession, Fried credits his team with slowing the tempo of Maryland’s attack after that.

“Once we regained our composure it turned the tide a little bit. It didn’t necessarily change the score early, but it slowed them down, and they had a harder time scoring with it settled,” Fried said.

With 21 minutes on the clock, Georgetown senior attack Sarah Oliphant put the Hoyas on the board with a shot to the lower left corner. Just 47 ticks later, though, Maryland answered as senior defender Greta Sommers slipped one by the Georgetown goalie, senior Sarah Robinson.

The Maryland lead increased to three goals when Dorney tallied her second almost halfway into the period. Georgetown missed a handful of scoring opportunities after that, including an early start on a free-position shot that gave Maryland the ball back. Now forced to run a full offense by the Georgetown defense, Maryland was also unable to capitalize.

With time winding down in the second half, the Hoyas closed the gap to two when junior attack Lucy Poole found the back of the net on a free-position shot with 3:12 remaining. Maryland missed three shots in the last two minutes of the half but still took a 4-2 lead into the break.

The second half started much the same as the first with Maryland tallying two early goals. Junior attack Delia Cox took a pass from Doolittle for the first, and senior midfielder Acacia Walker gave the Terps a 6-2 lead with 32:17 left to play.

“Our goal usually at the beginning of the second half is to come out not as strong,” Maryland Head Coach Cindy Timchal said. “We came out too strong at the beginning of the second half.”

Led by sophomore Chloe Asselin, the Hoyas stepped up their pressure defense.

“We took away the transition. They weren’t able to push the ball and get some easy opportunities,” Fried said. “Once we forced them to play settled, that played into our hands. We were able to get out and pressure the ball.”

On the other end of the field, senior midfielder Lauren Redler began a six-goal rally by intercepting a Maryland pass, beating a defender and finding the upper left corner of the goal for her first of two.

“We realized that if we play our game, we could turn it around,” Redler said of the second half. “We got too much caught up in that they were a good team in the first half. We focused more on ourselves in the second half and were able to turn it around.”

Poole followed Redler’s goal in a similar fashion, beating a defender up the middle. Senior attack Catherine Elbe found midfielder Allison Chambers in front of the net for the Hoyas’ fifth goal, and senior mid Lauren Bernier tied it up at six with a stutter-step past her defender with 9:17 remaining on the clock.

Only 47 seconds later, the Hoyas took their first lead of the game when four-time Big East offensive player of the week Coco Stanwick tallied her only goal of the day on an assist from Oliphant.

Redler capped off the afternoon with her second, taking a pass from Stanwick with 3:54 on the clock.

Maryland had a couple of opportunities as time wound down, but turnovers proved costly as the Terps could not overcome the momentum swing and the Hoyas’ defensive pressure.

“There were critical situations where we had turnovers, which didn’t help. That was our shortcoming in the second half today,” Timchal said. “We as a team need to find that strength in the second half to get us through the end of the game. Today we came up short.”

The win improves the Hoyas to 7-2 this season while the Terrapins drop to 7-5. Georgetown travels to Boston for a pair of games this weekend. Saturday, the Hoyas face Big East foe Boston College (6-3, 1-2), followed by a match with No. 11 Boston University (8-1) on Monday.