GU Sees Changes in Grad School Rankings

U.S. News and World Report’s 2005 ranking of “America’s Best Graduate Schools” placed Georgetown’s Law Center at 14th overall, the same ranking as last year and the highest ranking for any of the university’s graduate schools.

The Law Center also ranked in the top 10 for six of eight specific categories – first in clinical training, third in international law, third in tax law, sixth in environmental law, sixth in trial advocacy and ninth in dispute resolution.

The McDonough School of Business’ MBA program fell out of the top 25 for the first time in three years, tying for 33rd nationwide. The ranking was down from last year’s 24th spot.

Georgetown’s School of Medicine tied for 43rd on the list of top medical research schools, up from 47th in last year’s index. The program reported a 5.5 percent acceptance rate in 2003 with an average MCAT score of 10.4.

U.S. News also ranked other master’s and doctoral programs. The Georgetown Public Policy Institute ranked 17th on the list of top public affairs schools, after being ranked 29th in 2001, the last time U.S. News ranked such institutions.

Each year, U.S. News ranks graduate programs in the areas of business, education, engineering, law and medicine. This year, U.S. News and World Report produced new rankings of graduate programs surveying nearly 2,700 faculty and administrators.

For the rankings in all five areas, indicator and opinion data come from surveys of more than 1,000 programs and nearly 9,100 academics and other professionals conducted in fall 2003. Different output measures are used for different fields; as a result, the indicators used for different school rankings vary.

For instance, in business, the value of students’ education is measured by their starting salaries after graduation and by how much time it takes to find jobs after graduation. In law, the time it takes for new lawyers to land jobs is also measured, as well as their state bar exam passage rates.