GU’s Brunson Takes on WNBA

From the NCAA to the WNBA, from Sacramento to Saint Servais, Rebekkah Brunson (COL ’04) has found basketball success wherever she’s played.

As a forward for the 2005 WNBA Champion Sacramento Monarchs, the former Georgetown standout became only the second Hoya to win a pro basketball title. Jaren Jackson (MSB ’89) – a member of the San Antonio Spurs’ 1999 championship team – has been the Hilltop’s only other professional champion.

Last September, during the Monarchs’ 62-59 championship-clinching victory over the Connecticut Sun, Brunson scored a solid 12 points and pulled down six rebounds.

“I think that every athlete, no matter what the sport, sets a goal to be the best at what they do. This includes being a part of the best team. A championship is always a goal that athletes aspire to reach and I am extremely proud of this accomplishment,” Brunson said.

“It just means that I have 13 teams on my tail trying to steal our title, [so] I have to continue to work hard to better prepare myself to protect our crown. It also means that I have many years ahead of me to try and win more.”

After graduating from Georgetown in 2004, Brunson was selected by Sacramento with the Monarchs’ 10th pick. One of the team’s youngest members, she averaged 7.8 points and 5.5 rebounds on the season, helping her team to a tremendous 25-9 record. Her four double-doubles put her second on the team to eventual Finals MVP Yolanda Griffith’s six and placed her among the league’s top ten.

In the playoffs, she stood out as a rather unusual rookie – she started all eight games, responding with 6.9 points and 5.5 boards per game while Sacramento lost only one game on the way to the title.

“Throughout the season we worked on getting to the peak of our game,” Brunson says. “This meant bringing everything that you had every night, every time we stepped on the court. We had to become mentally prepared in the regular season, we couldn’t just wait to turn it on. Our intensity, teamwork, dedication to work together and winning drive spilled over into the playoffs and took us to the top.”

Following the Monarchs’ championship, Brunson moved to Europe to continue her success. This winter, she traveled to Saint Servais, Belgium to play for European powerhouse Dexia Namur, a squad with a 14-0 record against Belgian opponents. Though the team is only 2-8 in European competition, Brunson has averaged 16.1 points and 11.5 rebounds and was recently selected to play for the World Team at the FIBA All-Star game in March.

Brunson said she has been happy to play abroad, since “basketball has given me the opportunity to experience things that most people wait a lifetime or may never experience. Living in a foreign country is one of those things. I am going to take advantage of as much as possible in my youth and traveling has always been something I love to do.”

But Brunson will not be too complacent with her success in foreign lands or at home. She’s excited about returning to defend her WNBA championship next summer.

“The league is becoming more athletic and up-tempo and I am a player that fits the face of the growing WNBA. I watched and learned [from childhood] and continue to take advice from the veterans in the league,” she said.

“Now I am learning more, hands on, than I was ever able to take from speaking to or watching the older players in the league. Experience is the best teacher, and I will continue to be a student of the game for as long as I play.”