GUSAweb.org Debuts

By Shannon Kahle Hoya Staff Writer

Before the Class of 2004 flooded into the residence halls last Saturday, the Georgetown University Student Association launched a Web site, hoping to make life on campus easier for these freshmen as well as provide information to the rest of the 6,100 undergraduate students.

Making its debut on Aug. 25, the new site, www.gusaweb.org, is now being hailed as a major step forward for GUSA. GUSA Webmaster Sean McLaughlin (SFS ’02) and a team of students developed the Web site over the summer and plan to update it regularly to respond to the changing informational needs of the student body. “A warehouse of information for students is the way I envisioned the site from the beginning, but any site is only effective as long as it is updated frequently,” McLaughlin said.

GUSA President Tawan Davis (COL ’01) said, “Moving into the realm of electronic communication makes the student association even more able to effectively and accurately represent the views of those it serves.”

This more accurate representation and attention to the needs of the student body was a major issue in the 2000 GUSA campaign, with the Web site intended as the beginning of the fulfillment of promises made last spring.

GUSA hopes to expand its presence on campus, especially to those not familiar with the services it provides. Along with a description through the internet of the various facets of the organization, students can find news stories about current GUSA issues, biographies of each representative and a copy of the association’s constitution and resolutions.

While this information has been available to students in the past, the new Web site allows them to access it at their convenience and under a domain name that is easier to remember. According to GUSA chief of staff Keavney Klein (NUR ’02), “Communication is key. We need to have a way for students to get information about the student association at their leisure, and a Web site is perfect for that.”

The site also provides phone numbers for various services across campus, from the Residence Hall Offices to the Student Primary Care Clinic, and other information such as GUTS bus schedules. Links to other university-related publications and an online version of the student association’s newsletter are also available, along with a calendar that highlights special events taking place on the main campus.

The Web site also offers students the opportunity to get involved in GUSA or voice their opinions to their elected representative. Besides listing the location of their Leavey office, which is next to the Sellinger Lounge, students can contact the student association via e-mail directly through the new site.

GUSA plans to start an advertising campaign for this new site in the coming weeks, now that the initial rush of move-in week has subsided. They will place fliers around campus, put notices under the residence hall doors and hang a banner at their barbeque on Copley Lawn on Sept. 9, according to Klein.