GUTV Airs First Programming; Station Still Lacks Cameras

By Jean Weinberg Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown University Television aired for the first time yesterday at 10:50 a.m. on channel 21 over Georgetown’s Hoyanet cable system. Its programming yesterday consisted of a taped performance of an on-campus step show and a text-based community calendar.

At 3 p.m. GUTV was moved from channel 21 to 27 after it was discovered that airing on channel 21 created interference with a campus paging system.

John Collier (MSB ’01), GUTV’s general manager, said tonight’s programming would feature Singled Out at 10 p.m., an event which was filmed on campus Feb. 10 as part of Hoya Sexa Week, and possibly a taped performance of the gospel choir.

However, Collier said GUTV “can’t do a lot of programming because the cameras are still in the mail,” but that “they should arrive by next week.” Until GUTV receives the cameras, which are scheduled to arrive by the end of next week, it will have no regular programming schedule. He also said that GUTV does not have an editor but should have one by the end of the semester.

Collier also said the scan converter, which takes computer signals and converts them to television signals, needs to be adjusted.

GUTV’s first broadcast marks the culmination of months of intense effort by co-founders Collier and Pablo Liska (MSB ’00). The Media Board said on Dec. 10 that GUTV could air as soon as it had a successful meeting with its advisor Michelle Jaconi, (SFS ’96, CCT ’97) who works for NBC as a researcher for “Meet the Press.”

Last Tuesday, Jaconi met with Collier and Martha Swanson, associate director of Student Programs, to approve GUTV’s plan for going on the air.

“I think it’s really exciting for the university,” Jaconi said.

She said she thinks GUTV is “a fantastic opportunity for a lot of students and administration . The art scene needs reinvigorating, [and GUTV could] get a lot more people involved.”

She said GUTV programming probably will consist of large portions of guest lectures, a simulcast of the radio station, GUSA events and other performing arts groups performances. She hopes that GUTV “will foster a lot of community development.”

Plans for future programming according to Collier include “lots of campus events, and sporting events.” The news department is also looking to film news at DCTV, a public access station, and air the finished program on GUTV.

Collier said GUTV hopes to use the DCTV studios and editing facilities to create its own news show. Collier hopes to have a “big event next week that will be the initial start-up event.” The event will include various performing arts groups and will take place in Bulldog Alley, which is located near the GUTV offices.

Currently GUTV consists of 50 students and an Executive Board of eight students, not including Collier.

The students on the Board are Joaquim Mello (COL ’01), director of public relations, Kevin Haeberle (COL ’99), director of sports, Thomas De Napoli (COL ’00), director of programming, Liuba Shapiro (COL ’00), director of broadcasting, Damien Del Porto (SFS ’00), director of business, Matthew Bonanno (COL ’01), Terri Yuan (MSB ’02)and Zal Batmanglij (MSB ’02), directors of news. In addition to these Board members there is also a video coordinator, a music coordinator and a graphics coordinator.