Home Is Where the Gophers Are

I knew it was going to happen the second I was accepted to Georgetown. Somehow, I just knew it. Everything I stood for would be tested, and I would have to make a decision. That test is on Tuesday, and I’m still not prepared. Georgetown is playing innesota in the NIT, and I have to choose between my home state and my school.

The similarities between the two teams are striking. They were ranked 36th and 37th coming into the year by Sports Illustrated. Both of their offenses revolve around a star power forward: Mike Sweetney for Georgetown, and Rick Rickert for Minnesota. They both have energy players who come through in the clutch: Michael Bauer for the Gophers and Tony Bethel and Gerald Riley alternating for Georgetown. They both have scapegoats: Kevin Burleson and Drew Hall. They’ve played close games in which they fell just short and others where they managed to pull out the victory. Surprisingly, these close victories were within a week of each other, with Bauer making a turnaround, fade away three to beat Georgia at Williams Arena, and Bethel making a three over the tallest player on West Virginia to send the game into overtime, where he would make two free throws to clinch the victory. Both teams should have made the NCAA tournament, but instead choked it away: the Gophers by losing their last five games, including a loss to Northwestern in the Big 10 Tournament, and we all know how Georgetown managed to choke away a tourney berth. So now, these two teams have made a run to the NIT Final Four, and I have to choose between them.

The choice might seem simple to some. While at Georgetown, root for Georgetown. These people, however, weren’t there when the Gophers were propelled to the Final Four in 1996 by Bobby Jackson, Sam Jacobson, and John Thomas. They didn’t continue to support the Gophers after an academic scandal wiped that Final Four from the record books. On the other hand, my support for Georgetown has been unwavering since I’ve applied. I’ve felt the same pain as every other student, and felt the same joy, although there has, admittedly been quite a bit more pain. School or state? Neither answer can be right. And no, this is not a win-win situation. A choice has to be made. Teams are like countries; you can like other countries, but if they come into conflict, a choice has to be made between them. There’s a reason double agents are executed.

This conundrum was beyond my ability to answer, however, so I turned to my friends to find the answer. The first people I asked, being from Jersey, told me I should pick Georgetown, because it was “my school, which, the University of Minnesota is not”. When I explained that the University of Minnesota represented my state as well, they still didn’t get it. I understand their failure to comprehend my situation, because they come from the one state in the nation that pretends it’s actually another (New York). Also, when Rutgers is your state school, it’s reasonable to pretend it doesn’t exist. Someone, however, needs to tell the people of New Jersey, they are not actually from New York, and they should support their own teams (the Nets and Devils) instead of jumping on the New York teams’ bandwagon. As a rule, you have to support your home team, unless you have a compelling reason not to, such as following in your parents footsteps.

The next two people I turned to weren’t much help either. They offered contradicting advice. One said I should I root for “Georgetown, because I know them” and the other thought I should root for Minnesota because as she said, “I like how you say Gooophers”. Yes, they were both female, and no, I did not appreciate having my Minnesota accent (which does NOT exist), mocked.

In the end, there was only one person who could understand my situation: a friend from high school who is also attending Georgetown. As he said, “You’ve got to go with Bauer Power [the Gophers]”. He was right. I can’t abandon a team I’ve lived and died with since I was old enough to care. They’re my home team. You might not agree with me, and you might call me a traitor to my school when I don my maroon and gold on Tuesday, but if I left the Gophers, I couldn’t live with myself. All I can say is, “Minnesota, hats off to thee! To thy colors, true we shall ever be.”