Hoya Club Tennis Enjoys Big Turnout in First Year

Courtesy David Summers Freshman Drew Ambrosy tosses up a serve in his No. 4 match.

At the beginning of this school year Dave Sommers (COL ’05) decided to go out for the club tennis team. Upon looking into the process of joining, he found that no such team existed. So he did what any self-motivated tennis player would do: he started a club tennis team of his own.

The first step toward getting any team started is generating interest. SAC told Sommers that he would need 12 people to express interest in the club before he could submit a petition for its formation. Sommers set up a table at the SAC Fair in hopes of generating that level of interest. At that event 110 people requested more information about the team. Soon Sommers was putting together informal practices with 60 people’s participation demonstrating their initial interest.

Since the club has been officially formed and organized, Sommers has taken on the positions of team captain and president. He told THE HOYA that from the beginning his goal in creating the team was “getting tennis players out playing competitive level tennis and playing other universities in the area.” And he feels that “club tennis has been very successful so far,” despite obstacles the team has encountered.

For instance, five team practices are held each week (with twice-weekly participation being mandatory) and for each practice several courts at Yates need to be reserved. But, he explained, “as a club team . we are not allowed to reserve multiple courts at one time. This has meant that different players that will be at each practice have resorted to calling in, one at a time, to reserve courts for the one-hour limit.” Though this has been a hassle for the team, according to Sommers, the team members have worked together to ensure adequate weekly practice time is available for all players, regardless of their scheduled involvements outside of the team.

Above all, the 17 active players on the men’s side and the eight active players on the women’s side have had fun together, getting a chance to play recreational and competitive tennis on a regular basis. Meredith Arnold (MSB ’06) said she “joined the team fairly late in the season, but everyone was really friendly.”

Sommers remarked that “although tennis can get very competitive, we still enjoy playing for fun and having a good time.” And Arnold added that overall “practices are social and pretty laid-back.”

The team traveled to Virginia Commonwealth University this Saturday to play its first official match (matches against University of Virginia and Virginia Tech had been scheduled earlier this semester, but both were canceled due to weather). Both the men’s and women’s sides triumphed over the more-established club team at VCU, a credit to their hard work and determination throughout this year.

Club tennis has a match scheduled this weekend against Pennsylvania which will either be on campus or at a nearby venue. Sommers plans to expand the match schedule next year with six matches in the fall and possibly even more in the spring.