Hoya Men Drop Fourth Straight Match

The Georgetown men’s tennis team left Jamaica, N.Y., last weekend having completed its best performance in three matches. Yet for the Hoyas, who took 7-0 losses in their previous two competitions, the improvement was modest: It came in the form of a 6-1 loss to the St. John’s Red Storm.

The lone victory arrived late, several one-sided singles matches.

At No. 6 singles, co-captain Kevin Killeavy was the savior, posting a solid 6-3, 6-3 win over Jordan Talbot of St. John’s.

Not only is the match Killeavy’s first victory of the season, but it is his team’s first individual win, in or out of conference, since the 4+1 Virginia Commonwealth Invitational on Jan. 22.

A boost in team morale was evident during the Hoyas’ doubles matches, as Georgetown’s top two teams battled for ground in a pair of close contests.

Sophomores Ted Tywang and Andrew Clayton kept on the heels of the Red Storm’s David Nylen and Tom Green before falling by an 8-5 margin.

The No. 1 pair of senior Eric Conrad and freshman Kevin Walsh lost a tight, 9-7 contest to Louis Desmarteux and Aliksandr Svetlakov of St. John’s.

Tywang the singles player, meanwhile, fought Tom Green into a third set before falling 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 to the home opponent.

Conrad, at No. 2, also took to the singles court, retiring Nylen after a 6-2 loss in the first set. Freshmen pair Adam Gross and Ken Wong did not find their rhythm, either; they were quickly swept away, 8-1, by Morgan Bauer and Claudio Halim.

The team’s match loss puts the Hoyas at 0-4 in the spring season, never having won more than one match in non-conference competition. Finding a spot in the Big East tournament will likely require a fight.

The men will take on Navy this Sunday in Arlington, Va. The women, who did not play this week, look to upcoming matches against Pittsburgh and Maryland as their first non-conference matches – and their first opponents since the VCU Invitational.

Their two matches earlier this month against Seton Hall and George Washington were postponed due to snow.