Hoya Notebook

Swimming In the Hoyas’ final home meet of the season at McCarthy Pool, St. Bonaventure rained on Georgetown’s senior day. The Bonnies downed the men’s team 154-71, and beat the women by a tally of 145-97 on Saturday afternoon. “I thought we raced tired,” Head Coach Steven Cartwright said, adding that the Hoyas were focusing on their individual events this weekend. Senior Caitlin Colling did manage to celebrate her last home meet, winning both the 100- and 200-yard freestyles with times of 53.45 and 1:56.12, respectively. Sophomore Lindsay Vickroy came in third in the 100-yard freestyle, posting a Big East qualifying time of 55.09. The Hoyas saw their most success of the afternoon off of the diving board. Freshmen Becca Jenkinson and Caitlin Karniski took the top two spots in the one-meter and three-meter dives. St. Bonaventure’s senior Anneli Johnson set a pool record with a time of 2:20.76 on the 200-yard breaststroke. On the men’s side, junior Daniel Robinson qualified for the Big East with a time of 4:13.87 in the 400-yard individual medley. The Hoyas finished in the top three of the 200-yard backstroke, as junior Goran Bistric came in first, sophomore Wes Going in second and Robinson in third. “There were a lot of positives on the men’s side,” Cartwright said. This weekend, Georgetown will be swimming in Connecticut – the women will face Central Connecticut State on Friday and UConn on Saturday, while the men will take on UConn and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy on Saturday. “This weekend is pretty important,” Cartwright said. “It gives us as a coaching staff a chance to see things we need to fix and fine tune.” Football Georgetown’s football team added 36 members to the Patriot League Football Academic Honor Roll when the league released the list of 122 players on Friday. Georgetown had the most student-athletes named to the list of the seven teams in the league – with Lafayette coming in second with 21. In terms of class, six freshmen, eight sophomores, 12 juniors and 10 seniors were named to the list from the Hoyas. Georgetown senior fullback Kyle Van Fleet headed the list after being named the 2007 Patriot League Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year in November. Van Fleet, a Georgetown captain majoring in management, was a semifinalist for the Draddy Trophy, the highest academic honor a college football player can receive. This is the fourth season in a row that Van Fleet was named to the Patriot League’s Academic Honor Roll. To be eligible for the honor roll, a student must maintain a 3.2 grade-point average in the fall semester and earn a varsity letter in football. Last season, Georgetown players represented 32 of the 114 total players on the Patriot League Academic Honor Roll. The Hoyas finished the season 1-10 overall and 1-5 in the Patriot League, tied for last place. The league’s top two finishers, Fordham and Colgate, had eight and six players, respectively, on the honor roll.