Hoya Notebook

Swimming

Led by junior Goran Bistric and senior Caitlin Colling, the Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming teams set a combined 12 school records this weekend at the Big East Championship in East Meadow, N.Y.

On the men’s side, Bistric set individual school marks in the 100-yard butterfly, 100 backstroke and 200 backstroke, and added a team school record in the 200 medley relay. Bistric made the finals in the 200 backstroke and finished in 1:48.86, good for fifth place overall. The men finished the weekend in ninth place out of 11 with 106 points, up from last year’s result of 11th out of 12.

The women also outdid their 2007 performance with a 10th place finish out of 12 teams (91 points), with Colling setting two individual Georgetown records and playing a hand in three team school records. She broke her own record in the 100 freestyle twice over the weekend, eventually racing in 52.17, good for 14th place overall.

Notre Dame dominated both sides of the competition, outscoring its nearest opponent by 250.5 points (531 to 280.5) in the men’s competition and 207.5 (525 to 317.5) in the women’s.

– Kevin Wessel

en’s Tennis

Playing an Ivy League school in tennis is never an easy task, and the Hoyas realized that on Saturday night at the Army-Navy Country Club when they began their quest for a big upset over Yale. A decisive victory in the second doubles match, which featured senior Jeff Schnell’s booming serve and junior Adam Gross’s deep returns, crushed the Bulldogs 8-3 and set the Hoyas on the right path. Unfortunately, the momentum of the win was not sustained, as senior Ted Tywang and sophomore Dave Tillem fell 8-5 in the third doubles position. The doubles point fell squarely on the rackets of junior Kevin Walsh and sophomore Will Lowell, who gave up an early break at 3-2. The pair earned three break points in the 12th game of the match but could not capitalize on them, as Yale took the match, 8-6.

From there, the Bulldogs took control of the match. Schnell battled Yale’s Jeff Dawson, in a close 7-5, 6-2 loss in the first singles spot. Mike Caldwell bested Lowell, 6-4, 6-2, and Yale clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-1 win over sophomore Anthony Tan.

The Hoyas were not without highlights, as Tillem and Gross each earned victories in close matches. Tillem won in straight sets 7-6, 7-5, and Gross continued his singles winning streak with a dramatic 3-6, 7-6, 10-6 victory.

The men’s and women’s teams both play at home next weekend, with matches against SUNY Binghamton and SUNY Albany, respectively.

– David Hammerman