Hoyas Add Guard, All-American Center

While the Georgetown women may rely on the skilled jumpshot of senior Bethany LeSueur and Kieraah Marlow’s presence in the paint, don’t count out the impact that new Hoyas Katrina Wheeler and Nikki Bozeman may make on the court – and the influence sophomore transfer Brina Pollack will have off it.

A McDonald’s All-American and a top-25 recruit, Wheeler – of Washington’s own Theodore Roosevelt High School – will step up right away.

“She’s been doing a great job,” Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “She’s going to help us a lot this year.”

Wheeler averaged 17 points, 19 rebounds and five blocks per game during her senior season while leading her school to its second District title game in as many years.

Her outstanding performance throughout high school – she garnered all-D.C. honors for three consecutive years – as well as her size and skill, give her the tools to succeed at the college level.

With the graduation of center Varda Tamoulianis (MSB ’05), expect to see Wheeler spend a lot of time at No. 5 this year. Standing at 6-foot-4, she will be the tallest Hoya on the team.

Along with Wheeler, the Hoyas will shuffle Bozeman into their lineup. A freshman and native of District Heights, Md., Bozeman joined Georgetown in the spring last year and spent the semester watching and practicing.

The difference between this year and last “for her is just the opportunity to play,” Williams-Flournoy said.

Given Willams-Flournoy’s endorsements of both Wheeler and Bozeman, expect both to play a tangible role for the Hoyas this season.

The addition of Pollack, a transfer from Purdue, adds athleticism to the squad and another healthy body to the practice lineup. In recent years, the Hoyas have struggled with their overall athleticism. The team has lacked the physical presence needed to score tough points in the paint or pull down offensive rebounds.

While she will have to sit out one year per NCAA transfer rules, Pollack will participate in practices and push her teammates to succeed. She comes to Georgetown after a solid season at Purdue in which she played in 28 games and started 10.

While her overall statistics may not appear to be spectacular, her assists and steals per minute were first and second on the team, respectively.

“She actually brings a lot of athleticism to the guard position,” Williams-Flournoy said. “She’s going to be great.”

With a year of practice on the team and the ability to get comfortable with the Hoya game plan without the pressure of performing on the court, Pollack could be invaluable in future years.

The three new Hoyas will all contribute to the team this year. While Pollack will be a presence in practice and an avid cheerleader, expect Wheeler and Bozeman to make an immediate impact – and watch out for Pollack next year.