Hoyas at Home on Road

Phil Jackson, the architect behind the Chicago Bulls and Los Angeles Lakers dynasties, said that the most important aspect of coaching is knowing your team. Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan clearly subscribes to this philosophy; prior to traveling to George ason for games against George Washington and Stony Brook, Nolan commented that his team was due for an offensive explosion in the coming days.

His prediction proved to be as accurate as a Michael Jordan game-winner as the Hoyas (4-1) offense led the way in a 5-0 victory over George Washington (3-2) on Friday. Georgetown followed that up by beating Stony Brook (2-2) 2-0 on Sunday.

“We had a good weekend,” Nolan said. “We knew we would get a game, or a couple of games, where we would just convert those chances. We hadn’t had much luck in the other games, but this weekend the balls went in for us.”

In their first game since a 2-1 loss to James Madison a week ago, the Hoyas bounced back in a big way by trouncing George Washington. The Colonials, off to a 3-0 start entering the game, could not stop the Georgetown offense.

The Hoyas dominated the first 30 minutes of play, but only managed two shots on goal. In the 30th minute freshmen midfielder Ingrid Wells had her shot blocked by George Washington goalkeeper Amie Kern, but junior defender Nicole Smith followed the rebound to score her first collegiate goal and give Georgetown a 1-0 lead.

The second half began with an early goal for the Hoyas as Wells scored her third goal of the season after receiving of a pass by senior midfielder Sara Jordan. Ten minutes later, Jordan assisted another goal, this time to senior midfielder Lindsey Appezzato. It was Appazato’s first career goal and put the Hoyas up 3-0.

In the 71st minute, senior defenseman Karen Waskewich’s corner kick was put in by junior midfielder Stephanie Zare to push the lead to 4-0.

Georgetown finished its scoring in the 79th minute when freshman midfielder Lauren Von Der Ahe took a long pass and beat Kern for the fifth and final goal of the game.

While the usual offensive weapons, such as Wells and Jordan, were showcased, other players like Smith and Appezzato stepped up to contribute to the offense.

“We had three of our midfielders score the other day,” Nolan said. “Those three are the deeper midfield players, so it was great that we could get them in the box to score goals. It shows their commitment to support and attack, and we really need them to continue with that.”

On Sunday, Georgetown continued its strong play against Stony Brook. The Hoyas out shot the Seawolves 13-1 in the first half and had five shots on goal, but Stony Brook goalkeeper Marisa Viola turned back all five shots.

In the 59th minute, the Hoyas got on the board thanks to senior forward Sarah Fetters’ second goal of the season. Less than two minutes later junior midfielder Stephanie Zare, who had assisted Fetters’ goal, received a cross from senior defenseman Vanessa Joyce and headed it in for the second and final goal of the game.

Freshman goalkeeper Jackie DesJardin, filling in for injured captain Jade Higgins, recorded her third and fourth shutouts of the season. DesJardin’s performance was certainly not lost on Nolan.

“Filling Jade’s shoes is a huge task, and Jackie has done a great job,” he said. “Against Stony Brook she made one of the best saves I have ever seen a woman goalkeeper make. The shot was from 35 feet out and it took a wicked bounce and she showed athleticism and made the stop. It was a real game changer because instead of being down 1-0 we were in a scoreless tie.”

Georgetown hopes to see the return of senior captain Elaina Filauro by the end of the week. Filauro hurt her knee on a shot against Manhattan last week. Her return will help relieve a group of forwards stretched thin due to injuries and will only add to the Hoyas’ offense. Filauro entered this season with 11 goals and needs only three more to be one of the top ten scorers in Georgetown history.

Up next for Georgetown is American University (2-0) in its home opener. Game time is scheduled for 3 p.m. tomorrow on North Kehoe Field.