Hoyas Capsize Competition

The Georgetown sailing team turned in a number of solid performances in seven regattas over the last two weeks, paced by a number of freshman sailors and highlighted by a win at the Ice Free open at Christopher Newport the weekend of March 8 and 9. The Hoyas also grabbed second-place finishes in the St. Mary’s Team Race the same weekend and the Ocean County College Spring Open in New Jersey a week later.

Georgetown participated in four other races over spring break, placing fifth in the Admiral Moore at SUNY Maritime and 7th in the Navy Spring Women’s Intersectional during the weekend of arch 8 and 9. March 15 and 16 saw the squad nab sixth in the Truxtun Umsted in Annapolis and 12th in the St. Mary’s Women’s Intersectional.

At the Ice Free Open, several freshmen turned in excellent performances, helping the Hoyas cruise to victory on the strength of their wins. Catherine Bennet took first in the A division, as did junior Derek Webster, while in the B division, freshmen Jackie Schmitz and Megan Melican also finished in first, as well.

Host St Mary’s college won the St. Mary’s Team Race, edging Georgetown by a single win. The Hoyas’ 14-5 record, matching the University of Hawaii, included both a stellar finish in the final race against St. Mary’s – the Hoyas took the top three spots – and a few disappointing losses. The Admiral Moore proved an even tougher course, but juniors Bill Jorch and Gabrielle Maguire, who sailed in the first two races, and freshman Kyle Bergeron, who replaced Maguire for the remaining eight races, took third in their B division. Senior Byron LaMotte and freshman Dan Monico came in eighth in the A division.

In the Navy Spring Women’s Intersectional, the Hoyas rebounded after senior Shelly Wentworth and junior Eliza Ryan finished in twelfth in the A division when freshmen Derby Anderson and Julia Graham took fifth in division B, putting the Hoyas in 7th overall.

The following weekend, March 15 and 16, the Hoyas once again fell one point short of winning when they were topped by King’s Point at the Ocean County College Spring Open. Once again, freshmen were at the forefront – Rickie De Sole and Berry Kurland won in the B division with 23 points, while Ed duMoulin and Julia Graham placed third in division A with 40 points. De Sole and Kurland’s score was the lowest of the regatta.

Freshman Andrew Campbell stole the show in the C division at the Truxtun Umsted, finishing with a low score of 18 points, winning half of his 12 races and finishing second in the other six. Jorch finished fourth in the D division, but 15th and 10th place finishes in A and B, respectively, dropped the Hoyas to sixth overall. Georgetown closed out the second weekend by finishing tenth in the A division and 13th in B at the St. Mary’s Women’s Intersectional, landing the team in twelfth place overall. Seniors imi Elliott and Emma Trentman and sophomore Dorothee Bergin sailed for the team in the A division, and Bergin and Trentman split the B division race with senior Elizabeth Sampson and sophomore Corro Carraher.

This past weekend, March 22 and 23, Georgetown had three fine showings. The Hoyas emerged with a win in the MAISA/SAISA Intersectional at Hampton, a second-place finish in the Aaron Szambecki Team Race at Old Dominion and a seventh-place finish for the Owen Trophy at the US Merchant Marine Academy.

At the MAISA/SAISA, Georgetown was able to fight through several changes in wind conditions on Sunday to finish with 75 points, a full 15 points lower than second-place Charleston.

At Old Dominion, races on Saturday were postponed due to a lack of wind, yet Georgetown rebounded on Sunday – in similar winds to those at Hampton – to compile an 11-6 record. St. ary’s College came away with the victory after finishing 14-3, while USC and College of Charleston tied for third, each with a 9-8 record.

Once again, the weekend’s variable wind and weather conditions came into play at the Owen Trophy. The host UMMA-Kings Point captured the title with 121 points, helped by a regatta-low 52 in the A division. For Georgetown, the A division team of sophomores Stephen Streit and Chris Gosselin and freshman Kelly Lanzara tied for sixth with MIT, scoring 102 points, while Gosselin, Lanzara and junior Derek Webster took 7th in the B division with 103.

The Hoyas have two regattas on the schedule for this weekend, arch 29 and 30, and will look to continue their string of strong outings at the KP Spring Open at Kings Point and the UMBC Spring Open in Baltimore Harbor.