Hoyas Extend Win Streak to Four

Hoyas Extend Win Streak to Four

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s basketball team fared better than their male counterparts in Charleston, W.Va., Wednesday, embarrassing the West Virginia Mountaineers, 61-43. The victory was the Hoyas’ fourth in a row, giving Georgetown its second four-game winning streak of the season.

More importantly, the win bumped Georgetown into a fifth place tie with Providence in the Big East with a 4-3 conference record. Georgetown is currently 11-7 overall.

Led by junior captain Katie Smrcka-Duffy, Georgetown jumped out to a 14-2 lead in the opening minutes. Smrcka-Duffy, fresh off a one-game absence due to illness, scored eight points in the opening four minutes of the game, but cooled off after that and finished with 16 points, one point short of her season average.

Smrcka-Duffy did more than score against the Mountaineers, as she also led the Hoyas with five assists and five steals. She also came down with six rebounds.

Both junior captain Dani Ilic and freshman center Suzy Bendegue had arguably the best game of their careers against the ountaineers. Ilic, who has started all but one game this season, shot 5 for 7 from the field, including 4 of 6 from beyond the arc. Ilic finished with a career-high 16 points, surpassing her previous high of 11 set against Minnesota and George Mason earlier this season. For the season, Ilic ranks eighth in the Big East with a three-point percentage of 41 percent and 13th with 28 three-point field goals made.

Bendegue also demolished her career high mark in points in a game, tallying 15 points. Her previous career high had been nine against top-ranked Connecticut earlier this month. The Cameroon native shot 7-12 from the floor, grabbed five boards and blocked four shots.

Smrcka-Duffy, Ilic and Bendegue combined to become the first trio of Hoyas to each score 15 points in a game this season.

Sophomore guard Lesley Walker led the Hoyas with 10 rebounds and five assists. She also contributed three steals to the Hoyas defensive effort. Walker currently ranks fourth in the Big East in steals, averaging two and a half swipes per game.

Increasing their winning streak to five games will be no easy task for the Hoyas, as they must travel to South Bend, Ind., to visit fifth-ranked Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish are in a first place tie in the Big East with Connecticut, with each team boasting a 7-0 conference record. The Irish already humiliated the Hoyas at cDonough Gymnasium earlier this month in an 80-62 trouncing.