Hoyas Finish in Middle of Pack

Last weekend was busy for Georgetown track and field, as one squad of Hoyas traveled to Princeton, N.J. for the IC4A and ECAC championships, while the remainder of the team headed to Atlanta for the Georgia Tech Invitational. The men finished 27th of 55 in the IC4A championships, while the women finished 20th at the ECAC meet. At Georgia Tech, there were no team awards but the Hoyas did garner several impressive individual honors. “The race came at a tough time for us,” Ron Helmer, director of track and field and cross country, said. “Every meet is an away meet for us and the Big East’s ran through exam week. But we had that many people improve their times [at all three events]. Those that go to regionals have set themselves up to perform well.” The weekend was an important one for the team with four new runners qualifying for the NCAA Regional championships and several others gaining valuable practice in preparation for that race. The 20 Hoyas who have qualified for the regional championships – eight of whom are freshmen or red-shirt sophomores – will compete for a limited number of spots at the NCAA championships, a race for which freshman Buky Bamigboye (heptathlon) and senior Rod Koborsi (10,000-meter run) have already qualified. Junior Brian Dalpiaz led the way at the IC4A event, setting a personal record and improving on his qualifying time in the 3,000m steeplechase with a fourth place finish in 9:03.65. Freshman Alex Mason finished ninth with a time of 9:06.92, just .08 seconds on the good side of the NCAA regional-qualifying time. Helmer was especially impressed with Masons and the other freshmen. “We’ve got eight freshmen of 20 going to regionals. It’s a good thing to see; it’s more than we’ve ever had before,” he said. Despite their youth, these freshmen are, “on top of their game,” according to Helmer and they have earned their spots in the regional races. Junior Dan Nunn continued a strong season by finishing third in the 5,000m run with a time of 14:07.09, good enough to qualify for regionals. Ashley Mondie turned in an impressive performance on the women’s side as the Hoyas raced to a 20th place finish at the ECAC championships. She finished fourth in the triple jump with a leap of 12.38 meters. In the 3,000m run, freshman Natasha LaBeaud crossed the finish line third. The Hoyas also had a quality relay performance on the women’s side, as the team of junior Jayne Penn, sophomore Alex Baptiste, and freshmen Buky Bamigboye and Charlena Tillett finished fourth in the 4x400m relay. The Georgia Tech meet was highlighted by two outstanding performances: Freshman Terrell Gissendanner set a new school record in the 110m hurdles with a regional-qualifying time of 14.23 seconds, and the women’s 4x400m relay of juniors Kandace Ferguson, Nana Hanson-Hall and Nichole Torpey and sophomore Elizabeth Maloy team finished second among 12 teams. The relay squad also improved their previous NCAA regional-qualifying time with a new mark of 3:40.06. The women’s 4x400m race was especially important to Helmer because, “it showed that we’ve developed a whole lot of depth, looking at what we can do in team type meets like the Big East’s.” Ferguson added to the impressive 4x400m result by finishing fifth in the 400m race with a time of 53.88. Georgetown will now have two weeks to prepare for the NCAA East Regional championships on May 26 and 27 in Greensboro, N.C., where the Hoyas will compete for spots at the NCAA championships. Still, even with Nationals looming, Helmer was hesitant to look too far past the qualifying race, saying: “Everyone’s not going to make it and some are going to need to run faster than they’ve ever had.”