Hoyas Finish Season With Two Victories

The Georgetown women’s volleyball team closed out its 2004 season by sweeping its Big East rivals from New Jersey.

On Friday night Georgetown defeated Rutgers, then went on to a victory over Seton Hall on Sunday. The Hoyas finished their season with an overall mark of 17-12 and a 4-6 conference record.

This weekend marked the last time seniors Sara Albert and argaret Vernon would suit up for the Hoyas. Both players were honored before Sunday’s game in front of family members and other well-wishers.

Albert started off her last weekend well. In Friday’s match against Rutgers she totaled 14 kills as well as six blocks. Junior outside hitter Rachel Nelson, who will be stepping into a leadership role next season, also had 14 kills in addition to nine digs.

Georgetown dropped the first game to Rutgers 23-30 but then came back to win the next three (30-24, 30-21, 30-17), showing resilience that had been lacking for much of the season.

The next generation of Georgetown players showed they were up to the task. Freshman outside hitter Patty Carroll continued a stellar first season with 15 digs and 11 kills. Fellow freshman, setter Kate Fisher, had 42 assists.

On Sunday Georgetown finished its season against the Seton Hall Pirates, a young team that has experienced a tough season. Georgetown wasn’t about to make it any easier, winning in three straight games (30-28, 30-28, 30-21).

The first game was a back-and-forth affair. Neither team kept its serve for much of the match, but the Hoyas put together and held onto a small run to take the lead.

In the second game the Pirates captured the lead only to see it slip away again. Georgetown had the momentum in the third game and used that to easily dispatch the Pirates.

In her final game for Georgetown, Albert had 12 kills and six blocks, as well as a .667 hitting percentage. Albert ended the season as the Big East leader in kill percentage with .374. This is the third time in four seasons she has led the conference in this category.

Head Coach Li Liu gave Vernon limited playing time in her final match. Vernon finished the evening with nine assists and one block.

Nelson led Georgetown with 13 kills and Carroll closed out her debut season with yet another double-double as she had 12 kills and 14 digs.

Despite the final winning weekend, Georgetown fell short of the Big East tournament. The Hoyas finished seventh in the 11-team conference. Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Boston College will compete in the postseason tournament.