Hoyas Glide Past Tribe at Home

Junior attacker Coco Stanwick splits the William and Mary defense. By Bailey Heaps Hoya Staff Writer Friday, March 17, 2006

With wind whipping around North Kehoe Field and the abundant sunshine doing little to warm things up, it would have been understandable had the No. 6 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team shown up with a bit less offensive firepower than they’ve shown themselves capable of this season.

It took just 10 minutes, however, for the Hoyas (4-0) to acclimate themselves to the cold weather and warm up on the offensive end of the field, going on to defeat No. 16 William & ary (3-2) 13-3 in Georgetown’s home opener.

The first 11 minutes of the contest were marked by missed shots, awkward passes and relatively porous defense. Neither team scored and neither appeared particularly close to doing so, though Georgetown did have two shots on goal.

“We came out a little slow,” Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “We were a little reactive and compact on offense, but once we spread things out, we got better looks and the game started to flow.”

After 11:30 had elapsed, however, the Hoya offense began to click. An intercepted pass at midfield followed by some nifty passing led to the first goal of the afternoon, as freshman midfielder Courtney Hubschman registered an unassisted goal at the 11:42 mark, her third score of the year.

The ink was barely dry on the score sheet, however, when the Tribe got a goal of their own 14 seconds later on a shot by standout senior attacker Colleen Dalon, her first of two on the afternoon and 17th of the year.

Seven minutes of close calls on both ends of the field would follow the two lightning-fast goals, before senior midfielder Lucy Poole broke the tie on another unassisted goal at the 18:52 mark. For Poole, it was her eighth goal and 10th point.

After Poole’s goal, the Georgetown goals started to come fairly regularly, as junior attacker Sara Zorzi scored an unassisted goal 1:32 later and sophomore attacker Zan Morley added yet another unassisted score 53 seconds after that.

The Hoyas continued to work the ball on the offensive end for the next few minutes, passing the ball in front of the goal and tiring the William & Mary defenders. The ball rarely left the Tribe’s end of the field, and with 3:35 remaining, Georgetown’s own outstanding attacker, Coco Stanwick, tallied her first of three goals on a free position try that looked two easy to be true.

“It was the first midweek game, the first game [on the same day as classes], and there were some jitters. It was a big game, emotions ran high, and it made things a little hard, but we worked through it,” Stanwick said of the team’s relatively slow start.

Less than a minute after Stanwick’s goal, junior attacker Brittany Baschuk took a feed from Stanwick and capped the first half scoring, giving the Hoyas a 6-1 cushion. The final two minutes of the half held some extremely tight Georgetown defense and a futile last second heave at the net by Stanwick.

Halftime may have chilled the 113 fans in attendance, but it didn’t stop the Hoyas’ offense, and just 1:26 into the second period Stanwick made sure that Georgetown wasn’t going to let up as she notched her second goal of the game and 18th of the season.

William & Mary retaliated a minute later on Dalon’s second goal, and the two teams traded another pair of goals before the Hoyas went on cruise control and scored the game’s final six goals. The final score came with just 1:08 remaining on a free position goal by – who else – Stanwick.

On the afternoon, Stanwick tallied three goals and an assist, Poole and Zorzi each had two scores and an assist, Morley contributed two goals, and senior midfielder Paige Andrews was a fifth Hoya with double-digit goals. Hubschman and Baschuk each added a goal, and freshman midfielder Jordan Trautman chipped in an assist.

After the game, Fried was particularly complimentary of Poole. “Lucy is an exceptional dodger,” he said. “She did a great job today; she has a lot more confidence with the ball. She got good opportunities with in the flow of the ball.”

Stanwick, of course, was the crux of the offense yet again. In addition to her three goals and her assist, the preseason Big East offensive player of the year had six draw controls and two ground balls.

Still, for much of the game it was what Stanwick did while not attacking the net that made the difference on the offensive end.

“I try to be the voice and to direct the offense. It’s a team offense. I try to fit in the flow and just make things happen,” she said.

Overshadowed but not outdone was the defense. Led by junior defender Alison Rogers and her five ground balls and junior defender Maggie Koch and her nine saves on 12 shots, the defense was masterful from start to finish. Junior defender Chloe Asselin, Koch and Trautman all picked up three ground balls. Asselin, junior defender Laura Cipro and senior defender Staphanie Zodtner each forced two turnovers as the Hoyas’ defensive corps held the Tribe to just 12 shots.

On the few occasions William & Mary appeared to have a clear path to the goal, there were at least two Hoyas waiting to step into the lane, repeatedly tripping up the Tribe’s offense and thoroughly frustrating their opponents.

“Team defense is our focus,” Fried said. “If we do a good job in the front of the net, Maggie will make the saves. We want to play as a unit and [our opponents] will try to make things happen rather than let the game come to them.”

Georgetown converted many more unassisted goals during Wednesday’s effort than it typically did during the season’s first three games. On the year, the Hoyas have 27 assists on 54 goals, or 50 percent, but against the Tribe, nine of the 13 scores were unassisted.

“They were a bit slow to react and we got some opportunities to dodge,” Fried said of the unassisted goals. “It’s nice. We can distribute the ball or take it to the goal and that gives us a sort of triple threat.”

After two wins against ranked programs – the Hoyas defeated No. 13 Syracuse 10-7 at the Carrier Dome last Saturday – Georgetown will get a much better sense of where they stand when they oppose No. 2 Duke (6-0) on Saturday in Durham, N.C. Not only does the game match two of the best squads in the nation – Duke has already defeated then-No. 18 Richmond, then-No. 5 aryland, then-No. 3 North Carolina and then-No. 6 Princeton – but it also features two of the nation’s top attackers.

“I haven’t had a chance to think about them much,” Fried said after Wednesday’s win. “Duke is a very talented team. They have the best player in the country in [senior attacker] Katie Chrest and they are good on both ends of the field. We look forward to the opportunity to go down to Durham.”

Chrest, the winner of the 2005 Tewaarton Trophy awarded to the nation’s top player after totaling 96 total points, has amassed 20 goals and four assists in six games. Stanwick, for comparison, has 19 goals and a lone assist in just four games.

Stanwick echoed her coach’s sentiments, but refused to buy into the Stanwich-Chrest matchup. “It’s a huge game against Duke. We’ll see how for this team has come after four great games. We’re just taking things one game at a time.”

Saturday’s contest begins at noon in Durham, N.C.