Hoyas Look for Win in Season Finale

One more time.

Tomorrow, for the last time this year, Georgetown’s football team will take the field, looking for one last chance to salvage a disappointing season.

Winless in the Patriot League, and with only three wins total, the Hoyas will have to pull off an upset to end their season on an up note. Georgetown faces off with Holy Cross, one of the team’s most bitter rivals, and a team they have never beaten in conference play.

The Crusaders (2-8, 0-5 Patriot) are also hoping to salvage their season, as they too are winless in the Patriot League in 2004. The Crusaders have given up 41 points or more in every conference game this season, but if history is an indicator, Holy Cross still has the upper hand.

The Hoyas (3-7, 0-5 Patriot) have been put in a position this season where they had to overcome the injuries of several key upperclassmen, forcing younger players to step up into roles that they might not have been prepared for. This situation has made the Hoyas inconsistent, with strong defensive play curtailed by shaky offensive competition.

The Hoya defense this year is the quickest and most athletic that the Hilltop has seen in decades and junior running back Kim Sarin is just 19 yards away from setting a university record for rushing yards in a single season. If he were to have a career day and rush for an impressive 118 yards – which is not out of the realm of possibilities against this Crusader defense – he could become the first Hoya in the modern era of Georgetown football to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.

Holy Cross senior linebacker David Fitzpatrick will attempt to thwart Sarin’s efforts as he approaches 100 tackles for the season, and has become the anchor of the Crusader defense. On the Georgetown side of the ball, sophomore linebacker Chris Paulus stepped into a full-time role after senior Jackson Dismukes was injured. Paulus has become the Hoyas second-leading tackler with 70 so far.

Although the Hoyas have been unable to tally a win in the league thus far, they will need to leave everything on the field against a comparable Crusader team. The Crusaders’ weak defense favors the Hoyas because they have struggled to put many points on the board -the most being the 23 they posted last week in the shutout of Davidson.

But the Crusaders are not going to roll over either. Led by junior quarterback John O’Neil, the Holy Cross offense is ranked second in the conference, and senior tailback John Silva is 21st in the nation in all-purpose yards, averaging 142.9 per game.

While the Crusader offense is strong, if ever there was a chance when the Hoyas could break their winless streak against the Crusaders, it is tomorrow.

Although senior quarterback Drew Crawford and the Georgetown offense put 23 points on the board last week, they will not be able to commit the same number of errors this week if they want their first win over the Crusaders.

The Hoyas fumbled five times last week, missed a field goal and muffed an extra point. Although these miscues did not change the outcome of the game against Davidson, such mistakes have led to their woes in league play.

Five different members of the Georgetown defense, however, recorded picks against Davidson, and the Hoyas did not let the Wildcats inside the red zone once all afternoon. A similar effort will be needed tomorrow for a win.

Kickoff for the senior day game is set for 12:30 p.m. on Harbin Field.