Hoyas Make Comeback, Gain Victory

Hoyas Make Comeback, Gain Victory

Strong Second Half Makes Up for First

Box Score

By Sean P. Flynn Hoya Staff Writer

The first half looked like a continuation of the previous game’s blunders. Missed layups, poor offense and turnovers marked Georgetown’s loss to Miami on Wednesday, and for 20 minutes Wednesday night against Notre Dame, those problems persisted.

Then the Hoyas woke up. A double-digit halftime deficit was quickly obliterated. Georgetown’s offense rose from the dead and their defense choked the Fighting Irish. When it was all done, the Hoyas had not only made a comeback, but had also held it to beat Notre Dame, 62-53, in front of 8,305 fans at Joyce Center in South Bend, Ind.

Led by freshman point guard Kevin Braswell’s nine takeaways, Georgetown (11-12, 4-10) set the Big East record for steals in a game. The Hoyas’ 24 steals broke the conference record of 21, set by Georgetown on Feb. 26, 1983, in a game against Seton Hall, and matched by Villanova in a game against iami on Jan. 25, 1995.

Braswell’s nine were one off the Big East and Georgetown records, set by Allen Iverson on Jan. 13, 1996 in a game against Miami. Seven of Braswell’s steals occurred in the second half, a period in which the Hoyas held Notre Dame to 6-for-25 shooting.

The Hoyas also forced 28 Notre Dame turnovers.

Braswell’s 13 points were a team-high, and he also pulled down six rebounds. Freshman center Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje had team-bests with four blocked shots and eight rebounds.

The win came on the heels of a sloppy 71-58 loss to iami Saturday afternoon. The Hoyas shot 28 percent from the field. The 13-point loss was the largest margin of defeat during Head Coach Craig Esherick’s reign at the helm.

After trailing 34-22 at intermission against the Irish (12-12, 6-7) the Hoyas came out on fire. After a basket by Notre Dame’s Antoni Wyche made it 36-25, the Hoyas went on a 21-4 run that gave the Hoyas a 46-40 lead. With seven minutes remaining the Hoyas had accumulated a 54-45 lead by outscoring the Irish 34-11.

Then the Hoyas slipped up, missing their next several shots as Notre Dame went on a 8-0 run. Georgetown’s lead was cut to 54-53 with under three minutes remaining in the game, and things were starting to resemble other Hoya comeback games, namely the game against Villanova on Jan. 30, in which the Hoyas made a 17-point comeback only to lose in double overtime, 93-90.

But with 2:37 left, Notre Dame star freshman forward Troy Murphy, who led the team with 15 points, picked up his fifth foul while chasing a loose ball. Notre Dame did not score another point and the Hoyas pulled away for a nine-point victory.

The first half for the Hoyas was a totally different story. Georgetown’s offense did not get off the ground, leading the Hoyas to a 12-point halftime deficit. In the period, Braswell and sophomore guard Anthony Perry combined for one field goal.

But the Hoyas came out more poised in the second half, taking and making better shots en route to the 21-4 run that put them ahead.

The win puts Georgetown at one game below .500, the endoza line for gaining a berth to the National Invitational Tournament. It also brings the Hoyas into 10th place in the 13-team Big East, ahead of Boston College, Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

The Hoyas get a non-conference break Saturday when Southern University of New Orleans comes to Washington for a rare game in McDonough Arena. The game starts at 7 p.m.