Hoyas Prepare for Defensive Battle

How many times has, `there’s just too much darn scoring in college soccer!” run through your head? If you can’t stand all the goals in European football, catch the next bus to West Virginia to see the Hoyas take on the Mountaineers Saturday night.

Outside of West Virginia’s Wednesday night 3-1 outburst against Pittsburgh, the Mountaineers had scored six goals in 10 games. The Hoyas, meanwhile, have netted only five scores in their 11 matches.

Before Wednesday night, West Virginia’s results looked like a binary code, with all ten games ending in 1-0 shutouts. Despite the scoring woes, the Mountaineers are ranked 19th in the nation in the NSCAA poll and have a winning overall record at 7-4 and an even 3-3 Big East record. Last season, West Virginia looked to senior forward Jarrod Smith for scoring, and he posted 14 goals and four assists.

“If West Virginia had Smith back this year, they might be undefeated right now,” Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese said.

Trying to fill Smith’s shoes are senior midfielders Andy Wright (three goals, two assists) and Dan Stratford (two goals, four assists), but the Mountaineers already have more losses than last season’s 15-3-3 (9-0-1) squad. West Virginia Head Coach arlon LeBlanc, who was named Soccer America coach of the year in his first season with the Mountaineers last year, tabbed Wright and Stratford along with sophomore midfielder Gift Maworere as the three impact players on his squad this year.

“We’re a balanced team, but those three guys are the ones other teams focus on,” LeBlanc said.

West Virginia beat then-No. 5 Duke and then-No. 6 Maryland, and of the four teams who have beaten the Mountaineers, two (Notre Dame and South Florida) are ranked in the top 25 and two (St. John’s and Ohio State) received votes for the poll.

Wiese said this game is important for the Hoyas to win in order to keep pace with West Virginia and other teams in the Big East Blue Division. Georgetown is currently tied with Seton Hall for fifth place in the division with six points, but is only one point off of Providence and three behind West Virginia.

“We’re not going to catch UConn (18 points) or Notre Dame (16 points). They’re in a two team race for first place,” Wiese said. “But if we don’t take care of West Virginia Saturday, we might not catch them.”