Hoyas Run Out of Magic at BU

Georgetown (8-2, 2-0 Big East) took to Boston University’s Nickerson Field on Sunday not only looking to beat the Terriers (8-3, 1-1 America East), but also – at 8-1s and winner of four straight – to acclimate itself to the site of ay’s Final Four.

BU outhustled the Hoyas to a 9-8 victory, however, and Georgetown received a much-needed wakeup call that, if it wants to schedule a return trip to Boston, it still has a lot of work to do.

“We were flat and they played well, and that doesn’t make for a real positive outcome,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said.

Junior attacker Coco Stanwick and freshman midfielder Courtney Hubschman, who played in place of junior Sara Zorzi for the second straight game, each tallied three goals, but No. 15 Boston University’s senior attacker Mary Beth Miller broke an 8-8 tie with just two seconds remaining to upset the No. 3 Hoyas.

“It’s very disappointing. I never like to lose. . But I think this well help make us better in the end,” Stanwick said.

For a Georgetown team that had consistently been winning the statistical battle, Sunday’s contest was a struggle. The Hoyas committed 10 turnovers to the Terrier’s nine. BU gathered up 16 ground balls, while Georgetown had just 12. The home team was a perfect 10-10 on clears, while the visiting Hoyas were just 7-11.

“We came out very flat and BU is a very fast team,” Stanwick said. “What has made us successful is dominating ground balls [and other unsettled situations], and we didn’t do that, and it made a very big difference.”

For Fried, however, the differences between the two teams were far greater than those on the stat sheet. “The difference was and the statistics don’t really bear this out, that they outhustled us to ground balls, won a lot of 50-50 situations, and they executed better than we did,” he said.

Things started off well enough for the Hoyas. Though the Terriers received a goal just 43 seconds into the game from senior midfielder Lindsay Lewis, Georgetown scored the next four, as Stanwick scored once and Hubschman scored all three of her goals within 4:36 of each other, the last coming with 13:41 to go in the first half.

The rest of the period was all Boston University, as it scored three unanswered to send the game into halftime tied.

The second half was a seesaw battle, with Georgetown taking the first lead on a goal from junior attacker Schuyler Sutton but then surrendering two straight goals to the Terriers. Down a goal, Stanwick scored again, but the tie lasted just a minute as BU’s junior attacker Angie Martin put her team back on top.

Just as they have all season, the Hoyas had an answer as Zodtner and Stanwick each scored to give Georgetown the lead with 15:18 remaining. The Hoyas clamped down on defense for the next 12 minutes and it looked as though Georgetown would return to the Hilltop with another victory.

In the end, though, it was not to be. BU’s sophomore attacker Jenny Hauser scored her fourth goal of the day with 3:50 remaining to knot the game at eight. The clock ticked closer and closer to Georgetown’s third straight overtime affair, but with less than 10 ticks to go, Miller made sure it would not happen.

As the clock neared expiration, Boston University took, and missed, a shot. They controlled the ground ball, however, and got the ball to Miller. She wrapped around the crease and flung a shot towards the Georgetown goal. Junior goalie Maggie Koch was unable to notch a ninth save on the day and Boston University took its fourth and final lead of the day. With just two seconds remaining, the Hoyas were unable to make any noise.

While the Terriers did enter the game without the national hype that the Hoyas have received of late, and with wins significantly less impressive than those Georgetown has registered, they did have both the home field advantage and recent history on their side. Boston University won last year’s contest 10-8, and had won 18 straight home games coming into Sunday.

“[Boston University] is excited to play at home, and it was a big game for them. One of our difficulties is getting up consistently for big games, and for BU, it was a very big game and they stepped up,” Fried said.

Stanwick had another take on things. “We normally don’t have a problem playing away. It’s kind of just the middle of the season and we didn’t play our best,” she said.

Hubschman’s performance was one positive to be taken away from the loss. “Courtney stepped up big,” Fried said. “They were keying on a couple people, trying to cut them off, and [Hubschman] had a couple opportunities and she really stepped up big.”

In the end, though, Sunday’s loss was more of a wakeup call than anything else. “Hopefully we learn that we need to come and show up every day,” Fried said. “We have to come out ready to go make them match our energy level, rather than the other way around.”

Georgetown gets an opportunity to get back on the right track on Saturday against No. 10 Notre Dame, a squad that enters the game 10-2 and with losses only to No. 1 Northwestern and No. 4 Duke. The Big East bought offers the Hoyas a chance to not only move closer to fifth straight league title, but also to prove to themselves that the end of the season may hold a return trip to Boston.

“We can’t underestimate anyone,” Stanwick said about what her team can take away from the loss. “Every team is gunning for us. We always have to step and play our game.”

The opening draw is set for noon at the Multi-Sport Facility.