Hoyas Set Sail for Comeback

Hoyas Set Sail for Comeback

Despite Fall in Rankings, Georgetown Refocuses, Aims to Regain Position in National Ranking

By Ed Przylucki Hoya Staff Writer

Having dropped in the national rankings over the past few weeks, the Hoya sailing teams were determined to make a statement this past weekend and show the rest of the NCAA that they are no fluke. With three regattas against top-notch competition, Georgetown was given more than ample opportunity to accomplish this goal.

The first regatta of the weekend was the Navy Fall Women’s Intersectional at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md. Having missed various regattas over the past month, the women’s sailing team was hoping a strong showing here would put them back into the top 15 nationally. Despite finishing sixth at this meet, Georgetown did manage to defeat the first-, second-, third-, sixth- and ninth-ranked schools in the country.

Head Coach Mike Callahan said that after this showing, people are “going to take notice of us-they have to. This should put us right back into the [national] rankings.”

Freshman skippers Mimi Elliott and Liz Sampson competed well at their first collegiate intersectional regatta. In the “A” Division, Elliott was assisted by the crew of junior Paige Black and senior Kate Hewson, who helped the squad finish sixth overall with a two-day total of 124 points.

In the “B” Division, Sampson was paired with sophomore Leah Williams, and the team performed well enough to place eighth out of 20 schools with 135 points.

“I think our freshman skippers did really well,” Callahan said. “The crews for our skippers [Black, Hewson and Williams] are probably the best two crews on the team at the moment.

“Suffice it to say, the future of our women’s team is bright,” Callahan added.

The second regatta of the weekend was the Hap Moore Team Race at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Ct. This regatta is the only team race of the fall season, and the Hoyas entered the coed competition hoping a strong showing would help prepare them for the national qualifiers in the spring.

The Georgetown teams of sophomore Ken Ward and junior Gavin Weiss, sophomore Brian Bissell, junior Dana Scalere and freshman Shelly Wentworth, and sophomore Curtis Flood and junior Meg Nolan had a strong weekend, and nearly won the competition outright.

However, the inexperience of the two teams showed as Georgetown lost six close races towards the end of the regatta, dropping to fourth place with a 10-6 record.

The final regatta of the weekend saw yet another Hoya qualify for a major national qualifying competition. At the South Region Laser Qualifiers held at the U.S. Naval Academy, junior Raoul agana finished in fourth place with 114 points, and with the top four finishers moving on to the national championship, Magana found himself bound for the MAISA Singlehanded Championship at Kings Point, N.Y., on Oct. 23-24.

When Magana finally competes in the qualifier, along with teammate senior Ryan Costello, he hopes to be among the top four qualifiers who will then proceed to the national tournament.

The Hoyas also got strong performances from juniors Peter King, att Lennon and Alec Barker and sophomore Alex Holtan, who all turned in top-20 performances for the Hoyas.

Next week, the Hoyas travel to one of the largest regattas of the year at the Navy Fall Intersectional in Annapolis as well as the Washington College Open in Seattle.