Hoyas Spotty Against Leopards

FOOTBALL Hoyas Spotty Against Leopards By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Leopards headed Dawon Dicks and the Hoya running game off at the pass.

With Lafayette entering its weekend matchup with Georgetown with a record of 0-5 in the Patriot League, it seemed possible that Georgetown had a realistic shot of capturing its first victory as a member of the Patriot League.

However, that belief proved unfounded as the Leopards dominated the Hoyas 37-17 Saturday, giving the Leopards their first Patriot League win of the season and leaving the Hoyas in sole possession of last place in the conference.

Hopes were high as the Hoyas had the momentum of a 24-21 last second comeback against San Diego a week earlier, but Lafayette touchdowns on its first two possessions quickly dimmed the Hoyas’ prospects for a victory.

Freshman running back Joe McCourt rushed the ball 23 times for 184 yards and two touchdowns to lead what proved to be an explosive Lafayette offense. The Leopards entered the game as the top-ranked passing team in the Patriot League, but seldom had to rely on the aerial attack as a powerful Lafayette offensive line opened the way for McCourt, enabling the Leopards to move the ball with ease against a rushing defense that has proved largely ineffective this season.

“Up front on both sides of the ball we got handled today,” Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson said. “We tried to stop the run. We put eight or nine guys in the box.”

“Week in and week out the biggest difference in the league is up front,” he added. “We’re young up front and therefore we struggle sometimes.”

When Lafayette did take to their passing game they also met with success as sophomore quarterback Marko Glavic completed 17 of 25 passes for 208 yards and two passing touchdowns.

While the Leopard offense moved the ball with ease, the defense more than held their own, recording seven sacks and thus keeping the Hoyas in negative rushing yards for the game with -24. Even when Lafayette did not sack Georgetown senior quarterback Sean Peterson, they often forced him out of the pocket and hurried his throws. Between the defensive pressure and an ineffective rushing game, Georgetown had to rely on short dump off passes and screens to comprise the majority of their offense.

In the second quarter a dump-off pass from Peterson to freshman running back John Sims resulted in a 67-yard gain and set the Hoyas up on the five-yard line. One play later Peterson rolled out of the pocket and found Luke McArdle in the end zone for the touchdown. The PAT by law student Marc Samuel, who earlier hit a 23-yard field goal, made the score 14-10 in the second quarter, but another touchdown by Lafayette and a field goal as time expired put the Leopards up 24-10 at halftime and Georgetown would never draw within striking distance again.

“We were hoping to do better. I was hoping to do better,” Benson said. “Even at halftime we had a shot down 14. But they are a couple steps ahead of us in the process.”

The Leopards 0-5 Patriot League record coming into the game was deceiving as they lost several close games to upper-echelon conference teams, including at 17-16 loss to Bucknell, who stands tied with Colgate for second in the conference.

In a game largely devoid of Georgetown highlights, its younger players provided some bright moments. In addition to Sims’ tremendous run after his lone reception, freshman tight end Ryan Franken caught four passes, including an 11-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter as he filled in for injured starter Bo Cote.

The loss leaves Georgetown with one last chance to finish out of last place in the Patriot League as the Hoyas will battle the Towson Tigers on Kehoe Field next Saturday at 12:30 p.m.

2001 Football Team Page Schedule Roster