Hoyas Take First at NCAA Regionals

The Georgetown track and field team continued its streak of success Saturday at the 2004 NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional cross country championship hosted by Penn State.

The men’s team captured the championship with a first-place finish, as the women’s team garnered fourth place. With the victory, the men’s team automatically qualifies for the 2004 NCAA championship.

The men’s win was headed by the one-two punch of senior Rod Koborsi and junior Chris Lukezic as both Hoyas finished in the race’s top two positions. They clocked respective times of 30:24 and 30:31 for the 10-km course.

Villanova sophomore Bobby Curtis, who beat both Koborsi and Lukezic at the Big East Championships two weeks ago, finished third.

“The whole team ran a very controlled race and ran relaxed through the 5-mile mark,” men’s cross country Coach Pat Henner said. “Rod ran a great last mile and brought it home for the win.”

Junior Fleet Hower was the next Hoya scorer. He finished in seventh place at 30:42. Rounding out the Hoya scorers were senior Steven Meinelt and junior Chris Esselborn, who finished the race in 15th and 24th places respectively with times of 31:00 and 31:34. “This was Fleet’s best race for the season by far and, even though Chris has been a little sick this past week, I think he can run up with Fleet and Steve [Meinelt] at the national meet,” Henner said.

These five runners mounted a total of 49 points to capture the win. Second-place finisher American University totaled 63 points, while the University of Pennsylvania was third with 112.

In her usual fashion, senior Nicole Lee led the women’s team, taking third and covering the 6-km course in 20:52. Freshman aggie Infeld, who came across the line in ninth place, clocked 21:22. Junior Erin Henry and freshman Melissa Greilli finished the race in 23rd and 36th places respectively with times of 22:03 and 22:27. Georgetown’s fifth and final scorer was senior Jodee Adams-Moore who completed the course in 22:34 – good for 41st place.

“This was definitely our best race of the year,” Assistant Coach Juli Henner said. “The effort the girls gave was tremendous.”

Despite not finishing in the top two spots as a team, Lee’s individual performance garners her an NCAA at-large bid for the 2004 NCAA Championships next weekend. Due to her high finish, Maggie Infeld might also receive an at-large bid.

“Nicole and Erin have been great leaders on this team especially for our group of freshman this year,” Ms. Henner said.

West Virginia captured the women’s championship with 63 points. Villanova was five points behind for second place, ahead of third-place Princeton (83).

The men’s team looks toward the 2004 NCAA Championships next Monday at Indiana State University. Runners not competing at the nationals will run Saturday at the IC4A/ECAC Championships at Van Cortland Park in the Bronx, N.Y.

“Our goal is to go to the national meet and finish higher than we did last year,” Mr. Henner said. “If we run strong and execute our race plan, the results will take care of themselves.”