Hoyas Upend UMBC

Hoyas Upend UMBC

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s soccer team continued its torrid start to the season with a 2-0 shutout victory against aryland-Baltimore County. With the victory, the Hoyas are 4-1 and have matched their best start since 1993, the program’s first year of existence in the intercollegiate level.

However, for the fourth game in a row, Head Coach Diane Drake and several players voiced concern about the team’s level of play in the first half.

“We started off very slow,” Drake said, “and certainly that has been a huge concern of the coaching staff all year.”

Despite the Hoyas’ quiet start, for the third time in four games, they found a way to win. Only against UNC-Wilmington, who took advantage of the Hoyas’ slow start by scoring twice in the opening 15 minutes, has Georgetown proved unable to recover from its weakness.

Nevertheless, Drake seems determined to rectify this problem before Big East play begins this weekend with a home contest against Providence.

“We’ll get punished early on by some of those conference teams if we don’t start out stronger,” Drake said.

Freshman standout Karin Ostrander finally ignited the Hoyas with a breakaway goal midway through the first half off a feed from senior Jessica Czar. The goal was already the forward Ostrander’s third of the season, placing her behind only junior midfielder Liz Delgado for the team lead.

“I was in the right place at the right time, it just fell into my lap,” Ostrander said of her game-winning goal. “It was definitely a ball I should have put in, and I’m glad that I did.”

UMBC managed to stay with the Hoyas until the 82nd minute of the game, when Delgado put the game out of reach with her fifth goal of the season, this one off a penalty kick.

Sophomore goalkeeper Shereena Chang was a silent hero in the game for the Hoyas, posting six saves en route to her second shutout of the young season.

Wednesday, the Hoyas travel to Towson, Md., to square off with the Towson Tigers at 4 p.m. in Georgetown’s last non-conference game before beginning Big East play this Sunday at noon on Harbin Field against the Friars of Providence.