Hoyas Win Despite Offensive Woes

Say what you will about their 29.7 shooting percentage, but the Hoyas put away the Maryland Terrapins with a 53-45 victory at McDonough Arena on Tuesday night. The Blue and Gray were handily outrebounded, but some scrappy play and big shots earned them the victory.

It was a pair of threes from an ailing Rubylee Wright and Sugar Rodgers that sealed it for the Hoyas in the final two minutes of the game. A gutsy Wright was hit with leg cramps halfway through the second half but was able to play through the injury for much of the remainder of the period.

“She was the best point guard tonight for us, even with [cramps],” Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said.

The Terrapins proved to be the more physical team on the night, dominating the boards and committing hard fouls. However, the Hoyas hounded their opponents all night with stingy defense, forcing Maryland into 29 turnovers and a dismal 17.5 shooting percentage from the field.

aryland brought along a sizable crowd that was not afraid to make noise, adding to the tension of the renewed area rivalry.

“We’re the darlings of the city and we [had] something to prove,” senior guard Monica McNutt said. “It’s a respect issue.”

The Terrapins jumped out in front early, largely due to their ability to score quickly in transition. However, at about the midway point of the first half, the Hoyas began to show flashes of their signature half-court-press defense, effectively slowing down Maryland’s fast-paced attack and helping the Blue and Gray edge their way back into the game.

The first-half Georgetown comeback culminated with a buzzer-beating three by Rodgers, sending the Hoyas into the locker room with a three-point advantage.

The beginning of the second half kicked off with a 9-0 Hoya run that included six Terrapin turnovers, putting the Blue and Gray in control, 35-23, with a little less than 17 minutes remaining.

But then the Hoya offense disappeared. Maryland outscored the Hoyas 22-8 over the next 15 minutes to take a 45-43 lead, but it could have been worse for Georgetown, whose frontcourt was manhandled under the basket all night. Multiple missed put-backs by the Terrapins often resulted in a slew of offensive rebounds for the visitors in one possession, ultimately ending when a frustrated Hoya defender would commit a foul on the third or fourth shot attempt.

“Just concentration and just finishing,” junior forward Lynetta Kizer said of Maryland’s poor shooting performance. She finished with 10 points and 16 rebounds. “We know we can finish. Just a lack of concentration tonight.”

While the Hoyas’ defensive presence inside was nearly nonexistent, their perimeter defense caused chaos. Maryland was unable to control the ball for long stretches, frequently sending balls flying out of bounds while the smaller, quicker Georgetown defenders jumped on loose balls and unclaimed rebounds.

In the end, Wright and Rodgers were able to bail out the Hoyas with their late three-pointers, and a steal by junior forward Alexa Roche with 25 seconds left sealed the win.

But for Georgetown to be a top-10 team this season, it must shoot better than it did Tuesday night. Outside of 6-foot-6 sophomore center Sydney Wilson, the Hoyas lack a strong inside presence, and while a 19-for-64 performance from the field got the job done against Maryland, it likely will not against the best teams in the Big East.