H*yas for Choice, Not H*yas for Abortion

To the Editor:

Reading John Swan’s recent piece, “Pro-Choice Group Says Speech Stifled” (The Hoya, April 7, 2006, A1), I was astounded to run across an instance of blatant editorializing. Considering that The Hoya may be Georgetown’s most prestigious news publication, I am truly shocked that it would allow this, especially on its front page.

I am referring to Swan’s first sentence: “Members of H*yas for Choice, a pro-abortion rights student group, are petitioning for full recognition as a campus group following what they called a violation of their right to demonstrate on campus by the university on Monday.”

Pro-abortion. The group is called H*yas for Choice, not H*yas for Abortion. H*yas for Choice does not pass out abortions in Red Square. They have condoms and other information about birth control on hand – birth control being part of the choice debate.

At no time does H*yas for Choice say abortion is the right choice for a woman. It simply makes information available so that one might make an informed decision for their best benefit, free of judgment.

By writing “pro-abortion” rather than “pro-choice,” your writer implies that all members of H*yas for Choice are solely advocating abortion and that abortion is the only aim of the group. I expect better from The Hoya. Such statements belong on the editorial page, not the front page, which is reserved for unbiased reporting.

I feel it is not the responsibility of the writer but of the editor to catch such mistakes. Such an error strikes a blow at the legitimacy and journalistic integrity of The Hoya and its reporters. I hope for better, less-biased reporting in the future.

Sarah Harlan (SFS ’08)

April 25, 2006