If Words Won Games…

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C., March 17 ” I have a few questions for you, Jared Dudley, following your heartbreaking, collegiate-career-ending 62-55 loss to Georgetown. For starters: How do you like your crow cooked? After seeing his Boston College team bounced from the tourney Saturday night in Winston-Salem, the senior forward must now eat the five-course meal of smack talk that he spat out at Friday afternoon’s press conference. For those of you who missed the Jared Dudley hour earlier this week, here’s a brief recap: Dudley ranted to anyone who would listen that the ACC was ‘so much more athletic’and was endowed with ‘a lot deeper teams’than the Big East. Dudley added that his new conference’s schedule did not include any of the ‘give-me games’offered on the Big East slate. He doubted that Georgetown could match up with the Eagles athlete to athlete and told everyone that the matchup between the former conference foes was ‘definitely a winnable game’for his soaring Eagles. ‘I feel confident about our team,’Dudley boasted brashly. So, Jared, how does that humble pie taste? While Dudley’s 19-point, eight-rebound effort gave the Hoyas a scare, in the end, his performance on the court couldn’t match his brash antics off it. ‘Those comments that he made before the game, he can’t say anything now because we got the ‘W’ on them,’Jeff Green, who usually speaks in a fluid stream of calm clichAcs, said after the game. ‘[The comments] don’t bother me at all now, I have the last laugh. We won.’With his remarks, Dudley might as well have waltzed into the Georgetown locker room, sidled up the blackboard and scrawled, ‘I have no respect for you guys. Thanks for everything, Jared Dudley.’Jared, I just have to ask: When did you realize you had bitten off more than you could chew? Which highlight reminded you that Georgetown does, in fact, have some athletes on its roster? Was it was when the Hoyas jumped out to a 12-2 lead in a four-minute span in which you never touched the ball? Or maybe it was when Patrick Ewing Jr. swatted your shot later in the first half, sending your arms flailing in the air and making you look about as athletic as Abe Lincoln on stilts. Perhaps you saw the light when Green warped his 6-foot-9 frame around you in mid air for a put-back slam that you’ll probably see again tonight on ESPN. Either way, you’ll probably think twice about making such bold predictions next time. Or maybe not. ‘I was very confident ” you saw the score,’Dudley said after the loss, evidently unaware of the score himself. ‘I am a student of the game, and when you compare the old Big East to the new Big East, you will see that we are a much better conference.’It’s a shame the Eagles couldn’t hang around the NCAAs a little longer ” Dudley could have very well challenged Joakim Noah for most obnoxious loudmouth in the entire field of 65. With cornrows longer than a stretch of Iowa highway, he already has a hairdo ugly enough to match Noah’s. Before jacking his jaw, Dudley should have recalled the legend of Larry Birdine. Birdine, you may recall, was the Oklahoma defensive end who found it necessary to vocalize his opinion that USC quarterback att Leinart was ‘overrated’prior to the 2005 BCS Championship Game. Leinart proceeded to torch Birdine’s proud defense for 352 yards and five touchdowns in a 55-19 Trojans victory. Ewing played the role of Leinart in this episode of ‘Pride Comes Before a Fall,’going all Keanu Reeves-in-The Matrix for a reverse slam late in the game that will be remembered as one of the most exceptional jams of the season. ‘I heard that he had been talking trash during the week, and I told [Jessie] Sapp, I don’t care what happens, I don’t want to lose to a guy talking trash like that,’Ewing said in a raucous Georgetown locker room. ‘Because he was talking trash, I wanted to guard him, and if I got the chance, I was going to try and dunk on him.’While Ewing was never given an opportunity for the former, he executed the latter task with authority and grace. During his brazen discourse on Friday, Dudley proclaimed, ‘My mouth and the way I talk will lead this team in the right directions.’His stellar stats may have spurred his teammates to a near victory, but it was his uncontrollable mouth that finally doomed them. Dudley’s decision to engage in a war of words with Jessie Sapp drew a technical foul at the 6:23 mark and led to a stretch that saw Hibbert exert his dominance, Ewing write the script for SportsCenter with his slam and Georgetown seal the win for a trip to the Sweet Sixteen. Standing in a deathly quiet locker room in Lawrence Joel Coliseum Saturday night, the Eagles star shed his burgundy jersey for the last time and offered a redux of his now infamous statement from the day before. ‘My words helped my team keep it close.’Four years into his collegiate career, Jared Dudley was finally learning his lesson.

Harlan Goode is a junior in the College and the features editor of THE HOYA. He can be reached at goodethehoya.com.