IMF Head Receives Award Camdessus Noted for Diplomacy

By Anne Rittman Hoya Staff Writer

In a ceremony held in the ICC Auditorium Wednesday evening, the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service presented the 19th annual Jit Trainor Award for Distinction in the Conduct of Diplomacy to Michel Camdessus, managing director and chairman of the executive board of the International Monetary Fund.

Camdessus also delivered a lecture titled, “The IMF the World Needs,” describing the measures needed to enhance a sense of solidarity and responsibility in the global community.

The Trainor Award was created to recognize people who dedicated their careers to diplomatic service. To remember Trainor’s service to Georgetown through his association with the School of Foreign Service, alumni established a trust fund for the Trainor Award and Lecture Series. In past years, the award has been given to: Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan (1998), Foreign inister of Egypt Amre Moussa (1997), former U.S. Ambassador to Japan Walter Mondale (1996), and Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs Thomas Pickering (1992).

The award is given through the SFS Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, which chose Camdessus as the recipient because of factors including his 13 years of leadership as managing director and chairman of the IMF. “He symbolizes the growing interrelation between economics and politics as the world faces new challenges,” said Max M. Kampelman, chairman of the board of the ISD.

Camdessus’ lecture Wednesday marked the last day of his tenure at the IMF. Educated at the University of Paris, he also earned postgraduate degrees in economics at the Institute of Political Studies of Paris and the National School of Administration. He served as administrateur civil in the French Civil Service and as director of the treasury in the Ministry of Finance and Economic Policies. He also held the post of governor of the Bank of France from1984 to 1987, when he became managing director of the IMF.

Camdessus honored the Georgetown tradition by expressing gratitude to Jesuits who profoundly influenced his life and education. He paid homage to Rev. Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J., and acknowledged the effects of Christian teaching. Camdessus explained what is necessary to achieve his goal of globalized well being, which pivots around the concept of individual countries taking responsibility for the “stabilization and quality of world growth.”

“Globalization is not malevolent . but is the best chance of improving human condition throughout the world,” remarked Camdessus in his lecture.

“I’m glad he made an appearance,” said Keith Schulz (MBA ’00), “but I was hoping to hear about some direction he was leaving in terms of projects, both ongoing and on the horizon. Although, it was good to hear him philosophizing.”

Camdessus is the first recipient of the Trainor Award to work in economics. “It is fitting that the first recipient of the century be affiliated with the expanding and ever-important realm of economics,” said Casimir A. Yost, director of the ISD. The Trainor Award serves as a living memorial and commemorates the close relationships Trainor held with the students of the SFS. “The award exemplifies what the School of Foreign Service is all about, and I think Jit would like it that way,” said Leonard R. Raish, chairman of the Trainor Lecture Fund Endowment.