In the Spotlight: Leeanne Rizzo

In the Spotlight: Leeanne Rizzo

By Dianne Hezel Hoya Staff Writer

Stephanie Navarro/The Hoya

Sport: Field Hockey Position: Center Forward Hometown: Walpole, ass. High School: Walpole High School/Year: COL ’04 Major: Government Minor: Sociology

High School Highlights: Selected as a Bay State League First-Team All-Star . Named Bay State League MVP three years . Named Boston Globe and Boston Herald All-Scholastic . Tri-captain of team . Four-year varsity starter . Leading point scorer (combined goals and assists) in the state senior year.

Georgetown Stats: Scored the game winning goals against Rutgers and Monmouth this season . Currently ranked second in number of points scored on the Georgetown field hockey team. 2001: Second in number of points on team with five goals and nine assists . 2000: Named ECAC Player of the Week . Ranked 18th in the country for field hockey . Ranked third in number of points scored on the team with eight goals and four assists.

When did you first start playing field hockey? Fifth grade. The high school coach in our town started a youth program. I played soccer all my life and wanted to try something new.

Toughest opponent: I would say Richmond.

What did you want to be when you were younger? I used to want to be an architect. I don’t know why.

Worst fear: I would have to say having a family member die.

If you could have any actress play you in a movie, who would you choose? Sheri O’Teri because she’s short

Best Georgetown memory, to date: Homecoming 2002. It was the first time the field hockey players ever got to attend. We’re usually away or have a game or something and we never get to go.

Favorite TV show: “Friends”.

Favorite “Friends” character: Chandler, because he’s so funny.

Biggest non-sports related achievement: I guess getting into Georgetown

Hobbies: I play golf with my dad a lot. I’ve been playing since I was seven.

Laptop or desktop? Laptop.

Favorite thing about Georgetown: My friends

Least favorite thing about Georgetown: Class scheduling, because you never get the classes you want

Siblings: Dina, 22, and Gia, 24

Pump-up song: I like that new Eminem song, “‘Till I Collapse”

What do you do to get psyched before a game? As a team, we just dance in the locker room with our warm-up tape. It’s just a bunch of different, fun songs.

Favorite childhood toy: My G.I. Joes

CD in your stereo right now: Bob Seager’s Greatest Hits

Hardest thing about field hockey: I think the skill that’s required in order to play the sport. You know how just a natural athlete can play some sports? I think it’s hard for just anyone to play field hockey just because of the skill it requires, just with the stick and stuff like that.

Person who’s had the most influence on you: My dad, because we’re so much alike and we’re so close. I was born on his birthday. We have so many things in common and so I always followed in his footsteps.

Person who’s influenced you the most in field hockey: My sister [Dina], because she played field hockey before I did. She did exceptionally well at it, and played at the University of aryland which is a top D-I school for field hockey – they won a National Championship her sophomore year. But she’s always been a good role model for me, and has been interested in my field hockey career as well.

Favorite musician: U2. I saw them junior year in high school. It was my favorite concert.

Favorite U2 song: “With or Without You”

Three books on your ideal bookshelf: The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, Bridget Jones’ Diary, and The Great Gatsby

Ideal Job: To be the owner of the Boston Red Sox

Do you think the Sox will ever win the World Series? Yes, the year we start out badly, because we always start out well and then lose. At least the Yankees lost in the first round this year – that’s all I care about. They only made it one series ahead of us.

Biggest pet peeve: When someone says, “This tastes disgusting – taste it” or, “This smells gross” and they want you to smell it, and stuff like that.

Favorite home-cooked meal: Home-cooked sauce with pasta and chicken parmesan . An Italian meal.

Where do you see yourself five years from now? I see myself living in Boston with a job. And if I’m not engaged, hopefully I will be soon.

Chocolate or vanilla: Chocolate. I hate vanilla.

Most interesting person you’ve met: I don’t know if it’s so much interesting . I met Bobby Ore. I was at a golf tournament when I was younger – it was a celebrity golf tournament through our country club – and he was one of the people there.

Three things you always keep in your fridge: American cheese, ketchup and skim milk.

First thing you would do if you won the lottery: I guess take my family on a vacation to some island in the Caribbean.

Favorite place on campus: Sitting on the benches in Red Square. It’s so much fun just watching the people.

Favorite place off campus: The Waterfront in the nice weather, because it’s pretty and relaxing.

Most embarrassing moment: Probably last year when I scored a goal and I was walking back to set up again and I fell. I wasn’t even playing or running. I just bit it on the field.

One thing you would save from your house if it were on fire: I would love to save my couch, but I don’t think I’d be able to get it up.

Most prized possession: It would have to be the diamond ring my grandmother gave me when I was born.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Probably Australia just because of the environment and different wildlife there and pretty places. It’s just so different from anywhere I’ve ever been.

Favorite restaurant in Georgetown: I would have to say orton’s. If you like steak, you’ve got to go.

Random goals you hope to accomplish before you die: I want to own a boat. A big Boston Whaler-type boat . something I can take my family and friends out on. And own a Cape house. That’s imperative.

What’s under your bed right now? Bags and plastic bins that hold extra toiletries and stuff like that.