Keep Campus Debate Civil

Another presidential election season has arrived, and the steady political murmur of the past months is beginning to overtake a great portion of students’ lives at Georgetown. Fiery appeals have become more visible and ardent, and the debate on campus is growing more constant, more intense and more precariously vicious with each morning’s news report.

Frequently, students can let their passions get the better of them and allow the debate to become shrill and uncivil. Debate and discussion should happen in a university setting. But students must take pains to see that political discourse remains civil and intelligent.

Georgetown students are uniquely situated to become informed about and participate in this national debate. Each day we rub shoulders with faculty who have influenced, and are influencing, the policies that candidates argue about elsewhere. We see more high-profile political visits within our gates than a shut-down Ohio steel factory, and these distinguished figures join happily in our exchange.

Write for campus publications and people will read and consider what you have to say. Attend speeches and debates and you will have a chance to question those you disagree with and put your ideas to the rigorous tests of their skepticism. Follow the fliers to public events, rallies and debates. Wait hours in line for the big speakers and they will stay after their speeches and hear from anyone who steps up to the microphone. Where else could students have the Secretary of State listen to them and respond to their problems with interest and earnest?

With small effort we can elevate our political conversation to levels impossible almost anywhere else. The knowledge is here. The passion is here. The forums are here. For almost all students, this is their one election as members of the Georgetown community. Students must take advantage of the potent but fleeting circumstances that brought them together to one of the most important hubs of politics in the world as the world’s most important political moment of the near future approaches.

Georgetown’s student body is savvy enough to recognize empty ranting and irrelevant slurs, and insincerity in discussion will only make others more apathetic and disinterested. Fliers that take cheap shots at candidates instead of promoting debate on real issues serve no educational purpose. That kind of argument has no place at Georgetown. Do not waste time with it here.

Most likely students will never again have the chance to experience a time like this in such an enlightened environment in the political center of the free world. What students experience during this election has the potential to forever change and inform students’ understanding of the powers that shape the world. Don’t squander it.