Keeping It Clean

Each spring the Georgetown neighborhood groans as the end of the university’s semester approaches, signaling the impending student move-out period. The community’s yearly jeers are perfectly justified, since during the month of May, the streets and sidewalks surrounding the university and its buildings fill with bursting garbage bags, broken furniture, and junked electronics.

But May 2006 can be different from past years. Hoyas should shoulder the responsibility of ensuring that the community in which they have lived for the past year – both inside and outside the main gates – ends up cleaner than it was when they arrived last fall, and this year will provide a unique opportunity to accomplish that objective.

Administrators have stepped up efforts to facilitate a tidy move-out process by implementing convenient services which allow students to dispose of almost anything they no longer want – even bulk-sized items to be picked up by a university-owned box truck newly decorated with Georgetown Hoya logos.

There are numerous reasons for students to put a little extra effort into keeping Georgetown garbage-free. For one, students’ discarded items may be infinitely valuable to needier persons. Furniture in reasonable condition, toiletries, household appliances and even unused school supplies are among the articles which will be donated to needy families when collected this year.

Secondly, students who do their part to keep the neighborhood clean will benefit town-Georgetown relations immensely. While rowdy parties and drunkenness clearly agitate neighborhood residents, messy student tenants have long been one of the foremost sources of complaints from residents as well.

Furthermore, students can improve their own quality of life at Georgetown by keeping the neighborhood campus clean. No one enjoys waking up to find trash strewn about the Henle fishbowl or outside Village A.

The effort required of students to realize the goal of an efficient and neat move-out process is minimal. By simply taking a short jaunt to Red Square on any of the May dates already designated by Facilities Management, students can find the university’s aforementioned box truck awaiting their larger donations.

With a quick trip to the Office of Off-Campus Student Life in the Leavey Center, students can pick up orange “Hoya Clean Team” stickers to slap on their townhouse trashcans, which will ensure that the university collects their garbage – for free.

Even less effort is required of Hoyas living on-campus – cardboard donation boxes will be placed in all residence halls, according to university Recycling Manager Pat Dollar.

Of course, the administration can always do more to support student efforts to maintain a pristine campus. Perhaps the time allotted for students to exit townhouses and residence halls could be extended. Under the current time constraints, students often find themselves rushing to move out after their exams end, discouraging them from taking the time to dispose of trash and discarded items properly.

This spring, let’s show true respect for our neighbors, the environment and each other by pitching in to keep Georgetown clean as we head home for the summer.