Lacrosse Player Reaches Plea Deal

A Georgetown lacrosse player charged with simple assault in November with two students from other universities – including a Duke lacrosse player recently indicted on rape charges – will have charges dropped pending fulfillment of an agreement he entered last month.

According to the agreement, the three students – Daniel D’Agnes (COL ’08), Patrick Bonanno, a Providence College student, and Duke’s Collin Finnerty – must complete 25 hours of community service and keep a clean record for six months to have charges dropped, according to the diversion agreement reached with the U.S. Attorney’s Office of Washington, D.C. They will appear before a D.C. Superior Court judge today.

The three students allegedly punched Jeffrey Bloxgom in the face last November on Wisconsin Avenue after calling him “gay” and derogatory names, according to court records. They played for the Chaminade High School lacrosse team together in ineola, N.Y.

D’Agnes’ attorney, Michael Starr, said that he is confident that his client will not violate any of the terms of the diversion agreement.

“I fully anticipate that Mr. D’Agnes will live up to his end of the agreement and that the U.S. Attorney’s Office will dismiss this case.”

Starr added that prosecutors agreed to drop charges in exchange for community service “because their investigation showed that this was a minor incident that did not involve any anti-gay slurs.”

University spokesman Erik Smulson declined to comment on specifics of the case, and did not say whether the university has punished D’Agnes.

“Georgetown works in many ways to ensure that student athletes are fully aware of the expectation that they must conduct themselves in an appropriate and exemplary manner at all times,” he said.

Sports Information Director Mex Carey declined comment.

The case has drawn wider attention recently because Finnerty was one of two Duke lacrosse players arrested and indicted last week for allegedly raping an exotic dancer hired to perform at a team party last month. He was charged with first-degree rape and first-degree forcible rape and kidnapping.

Finnerty’s recent arrest in the rape case, however, could lead the U.S. Attorney’s Office to retract its earlier agreement with him and re-file charges, Channing Phillips, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, said. Phillips added that any new agreement with Finnerty would not affect D’Agnes or Bonanno.

“Not to be re-arrested is a standard condition of every diversion agreement,” he said.

Phillips added that if Finnerty’s diversion agreement is revoked at today’s hearing, “the case would be back on the prosecution track.”

Finnerty could serve up to 180 days in prison and pay fines of up to $1,000 for the D.C. assault.

Finnerty’s attorney, Steven McCool, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

According to a court order, Finnerty, D’Agnes and Bonanno were called to today’s hearing because the court does not know the “nature or extent of the community service” they are undertaking.

They are slated to return to court on Sept. 25 for another hearing.