Let Your Georgetown Experience Begin

Your name, your hometown and your dorm. Know that and you’re set for the first two weeks of college.

You’ll trade that info with hundreds of your classmates and, if you’re like me, you’ll find that most of them will blend together after that 25th kid from Jersey.

The first two weeks of freshman year have to rank among two of the most exciting and yet weirdest weeks of our lives. There’s nothing quite like them, and that’s probably for the better, because it’s doubtful anyone’s dying to repeat them.

These weeks are bound to help form your college experience, and so now’s as good a time as any to ask yourself what you want from this place.

Some freshmen list off hard and fast rules. “Coming to college with a boyfriend’s the biggest mistake you can make,” says one. “Don’t take early classes,” says another.

For me it’s forgetting to live in the moment. That’s a mistake we all make. If early classes are going to keep you from getting to class, don’t take them. If a long-distance relationship is going to keep you from meeting new people, then ditch it or strike a balance.

You’re probably never going to get to do something like this ever again, so choose to do something that you won’t be able to do anytime, anywhere else.

Remember, above all, that the ideal “Georgetown experience” isn’t going to come to you. It’s not neatly wrapped up, waiting for you to untie the ribbon and unfold the package. You have to make it for yourself or, rather, you get to choose it for yourself.

And it doesn’t happen all at once – there’d be no fun in it if it did. So sit back, have fun and be patient. I received my share of rejections before I found my place at Georgetown – the Lecture Fund, the honor council, Leadership and Beyond and probably a few others passed on my all-too-eager-to-get-involved applications. Even my first submission to these pages was politely rejected.

College, like anything that’s good, is about the journey and not the destination.

It’s about making choices, and there aren’t any right or wrong ones, just the ones that you’re going to be able to live with.

You get to make your own choices about class. You can choose to take classes with great professors – after all, the books are the same at Princeton and Podunk, Georgetown and GW. You can choose to take classes that’ll be an easy “A,” but the most rewarding classes are bound to be the ones where you learn something. (Funny how it works, because those aren’t usually the easiest).

And you get to choose where to spend your time out of class. There are quite a few great student organizations on campus, but none quite as special as THE HOYA.

There’s nothing quite like walking into Leo’s on a Friday afternoon to see students poring over your work – viewpoints and theater reviews, news stories and sports features.

There’s a tradition imbued in the 85 years of chronicling campus life that you can still sense. But we’re no fossil, constantly upgrading and innovating as we aim higher.

There’s a responsibility ingrained in providing honest scrutiny and maintaining a forum for debate that is the hallmark of a university. We publish more issues more often than any other paper. And because we take our responsibility very seriously, we have the greatest impact.

And there’s more. It is an awesome task at times, but most of us were drawn to the paper less out of a desire to do something great, or to belong to something great, than because it just seemed like it was fun; like it was worth a try. We enjoy what we do, and hopefully it shows.

But we need you to keep our presses rolling. We need smart, talented and hard-working reporters, photojournalists, layout designers, advertising assistants, accountants, webmasters.

College is full of choices, but it goes by quickly. And the longer you wait, the more you realize how many choices have passed you by.

You’ll find there are quite a few misconceptions on campus. One of the worst must be that “THE HOYA is so big, it doesn’t need me.” Don’t let appearances deceive. We don’t require much – just an enthusiasm and interest in being part of a valuable team.

Sure, Leavey 421 can be an intimidating place, but come check us out and you’ll find a group of students eager to welcome you. And since you’re probably sick of it, I promise I won’t ask for your hometown and dorm.

Nick Timiraos is a senior in the College and a former editor in chief of THE HOYA. He can be reached at timiraosthehoya.com. DAYS ON THE HILLTOP appears every Friday.