Library Repairs Irk Some Students

The continuing repairs to the exterior of Lauinger Library over the past two weeks have irritated many students, who say the drilling and chipping of the building’s outside walls have produced so much noise that they are having difficulty studying.

“Normally it’s just a lot of mish-mash,” Anna Johansson (COL ’06) said of the work being done on the exterior of Lauinger’s fifth floor. “When it’s in the afternoon, when I do most of my work, it’s kind of frustrating.”

Several students expressed similar sentiments, and many broke out iPod earpieces and other noise protection gear as loud drilling reverberated throughout the building’s fifth floor for much of yesterday afternoon.

“We are dreadfully sorry for the fact that this project is occurring in this semester,” University Librarian Artemis Kirk said. “There’s not much I can suggest, other than to find another place to study in the library if the place you’re studying is being affected by drilling.”

Renovations to Lauinger’s walls began on Sept. 12, and will continue from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday throughout the semester, according to the university facilities office.

Karen Frank, vice president of facilities and student housing, said that facilities personnel had discovered this summer that, in several places, the concrete exterior of the library could potentially chip off and fall.

“We thought all we had was a crack in one place. And when the engineers went up to examine that one place, they discovered additional damage, which you could not see from the ground,” Frank said. “It could be dangerous. It was something we had to fix.”

Frank said that the construction would be adjusted near exam periods in order not to disturb students studying during midterms. The repair work is projected to be completed in December, she said.

“We had no ability to change any of the timing of all this,” Kirk said. “None of us is happy with the timing, even facilities. . I’m sure they would have started it during the summer if they could have.”

That was little consolation to many students, however, as heavy drilling and construction continued on the building’s roof and walls. Some students said they moved from their usual study locations to other parts of the library to try to avoid the noise.

Terra Kelly (MED ’08), who typically studies on the fifth floor, said that she tried to move to other floors in the library but there were too many people and too much noise. She said she will continue studying on the fifth floor and try to ignore the drilling.

“It’s pretty noisy,” Kelly said. “It’s annoying because I study on this floor because it’s the quietest floor, but now it’s so loud.”

Some students, however, said they were able to study despite the noise. Katherine Chiu (SFS ’05) said that the droning construction was usually quiet enough that she could concentrate on work.

“Sometimes you can tune it out when you’re in your work zone, but it’s still distracting,” Johansson said. “It’s just frustrating because there are no quiet spaces on campus. . You’d at least hope that the library would be quiet.”